Confusion reigns over how the auditor-general's report, which contained warnings about serious problems with the troubled eNatis system, went missing for about five months.
Transport Minister Jeff Radebe said at a meeting of parliament's watchdog transport committee yesterday that neither he nor his director-general Mpumi Mpofu had seen the report until earlier this week when it was given to them by the Auditor-General Terence Nombembe. Radebe said Nombembe told him the report was sent to the chief executive of the Road Traffic Management Corporation. When approached for comment yesterday, the corporation's chief executive Thabo Tsholetsane said that he did not receive the report and that an investigation was under way. Radebe said he was also investigating the matter.
Mpofu confirmed yesterday that the auditor-general's report was dated December 22 last year.
This in the wake of a Beeld article which claimed Radebe was warned last year that the eNatis system would be a "humiliation". It warned there was an 80percent chance of the system failing with 19 out of 24 aspects considered to be "high risk". But the department went ahead and implemented the R408million system.