Sun Oct 23 05:23:38 SAST 2016

Presenter 'violated' bail conditions

By unknown | May 24, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Simon Nare

Simon Nare

Suspended Lesedi FM presenter Thuso Motaung has been arrested.

The popular presenter was taken into custody in Bloemfontein yesterday for allegedly violating his bail conditions. He was then transported by the police to Johannesburg.

When Sowetan spoke to Motaung after news of his arrest broke out, he said he was in transit between the two cities.

"Speak to my lawyer guys. I am not allowed to speak on the cellphone right now. But, yes, I was picked up this morning and I am under arrest," he said.

Police last night confirmed the arrest. Motaung is expected to appear in court today.

A former colleague, who is also a state witness in the corruption case against Motaung, had alleged that the flamboyant presenter wanted to kill him.

Motaung is out on R100000 bail after he was arrested with his wife Mmamotha and business associate Joshua Ramme for allegedly defrauding the SABC of R32million in air-time sales.

When Motaung and his wife were released on bail in December, they were warned not to contact or intimidate any of the 47 witnesses.

Motaung was apparently picked up at his Bloemfontein home yesterday morning after a witness in the case and presenter, Polani Lucky Qacha, alleged Motaung had intimidated him.

Qacha is one of the presenters who claimed in an affidavit that Lesedi FM manager Pula Pula Mothibi had encouraged presenters to promote Power Mix - a porridge - while on air.

Qacha said he was aware that Motaung was selling the product, just like other presenters at the station. He claimed he had never bought or sold the product.

Details of the intimidation were not clear yesterday, but sources at Lesedi FM say Qacha refused to work night shifts after he heard rumours that Motaung wanted to kill him.

It is alleged that news reader Tsietsi Mohalali had made an affidavit to SABC auditors, saying he had met Motaung in Bloemfontein and that Motaung had vowed he would kill Qacha if he testified against him.

At the time, Qacha was in Johannesburg on an assignment.

When he returned to Bloemfontein he refused to work, saying Mohalali had told him that Motaung wanted to kill him.

The station's management refused to transfer him to the day shift.

For two consecutive days last week, Qacha had to be escorted by the police to and from work.

And yesterday he went to the police to make an affidavit, which resulted in Motaung being arrested.

Motaung is expected to appear in the commercial crimes court in Johannesburg this morning for violating his bail conditions.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT