Sat Oct 22 14:07:43 CAT 2016

'Zuma still takes assassin claims seriously'

By unknown | May 21, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Kingdom Mabuza

Kingdom Mabuza

ANC deputy president Jacob Zuma's office is still treating claims of an assassination plot against him seriously, despite fresh revelations that it was all a hoax concocted by people close to him.

Zuma's aide Ranjeni Munusamy yesterday said police had not made contact with Zuma.

"Zuma has not heard from police since he handed over the affidavit. Until he hears from police, he has nothing to say. The allegations are still being investigated," said Munusamy.

The ANC Youth League has accused police and the National Prosecuting Authority of behaving like politicians by leaking the information of a plot to assassinate Zuma.

Sunday Times reported yesterday that a homeless man, identified as Ben Wyland Coetzee of Durban, was paid "handsomely" in exchange for his signature on an affidavit claiming he had been hired to kill Zuma.

The paper further reported that Coetzee was recruited by the chief witness in Zuma's rape trial, Peete Mbambo, to make the claim.

But Zuma's office and the Youth League are adamant that there could be substance to the allegations.

The Youth League warned the allegations were "a threat to democracy".

"The intention to leak that report is to make a mockery of allegations that there is an assassination plot against Zuma.

"Until there is official word from the police, we will treat the reports about the hobo as an attempt to shift focus from the allegations," said spokesman Zizi Kodwa.

He said they were disappointed that whoever leaked the information had compromised the respect that police enjoyed in public.

"Police, unlike the Scorpions, are not notorious for leaking information about their investigations. As far as we are concerned police are still busy with an investigation," he said.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT