The University of Cape Town on Tuesday morning confirmed reports that “four cars were set alight at .
The parents of pupils at Dithomo Primary School at Vosloorus on the East Rand this week relented and took their children to the school they had initially rejected.
Last week, the parents refused to take their children to the schools, Kopanong and Polokegong primary schools, that had been allocated to them.
Yesterday, Lebohang Mohapi, secretary of Dithomo Primary School's governing body, said: "We agreed to move our children to the other schools as long as the process is temporary."
A parent, Maki Moeketsi, said: "As long as our children are in class, we are happy."
The pupils had to move to the other schools to make way for pupils from PT Xulu High School, which had been built in a dolomitic area and could no longer be used. Last week, desks and furniture from PT Xulu were delivered under police escort to Dithomo Primary School.
Kate Bapela, a spokesman for the Gauteng department of education, said: "The department's greatest concern was making sure that the pupils were in class."