Tue Oct 25 12:17:29 SAST 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Reports that Dlamini on hunger strike false

Correctional Services spokesman Manelisi Wolela has denied allegations that student leader Mcebo Dla.

Pele's ban in Ghana leaves Safa in the dark

By unknown | Apr 16, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Molefi Mika

Molefi Mika

The South African Football Association is keenly awaiting developments in regard to a 12-month ban on Abedi Ayew Pele, one of the 2010 World Cup Local Organising Committee's ambassadors.

Contacted for comment on whether they would retain Pele or replace him with another person, Molefi Oliphant, president of Safa, said yesterday:

"The choosing of ambassadors for the 2010 World Cup has been the job of the LOC and it is for this reason the CEO (Danny Jordaan) has written a letter to the Ghanaian Football Association for clarity. For now we cannot comment any further on the matter."

Jordaan was not available for comment.

The BBC has reported that four clubs in Ghana's second tier of football have been demoted to the fourth tier by the Ghana Football Association (GFA) for match-fixing.

The quartet - Great Mariners, Nania FC, Okwawu United and Tudu Mighty Jets - were also fined $20 000 (about R140 000) following Wednesday's findings.

The GFA also decided to ban certain players and officials from the clubs for a year.

All the players who were on the pitch at the end of both games, including two late substitutes, have been banned for 12 months from all competitions organised by the GFA.

The ban also affects three-time African Footballer of the Year, Pele, who owns and manages Nania FC.

Nania and Mariners were level on points in their group and needed to win their final matches to qualify for the country's top league, the Premiership.

Nania beat Okwawu United 31-0 while Great Mariners triumphed 28-0 over Mighty Jets in the First Division last month.

Pele was banned because he was present on the technical bench of his side on the day of the match.

Meanwhile, Mighty Jets have indicated that they will appeal their second ban in four years.

The Tudu-based club were banned for one year in 2003 for withdrawing from a competition organised by the GFA but were later reinstated after a court action.

"Our lawyers are studying the verdict but for sure we will appeal against this gross injustice that has been perpetrated without evidence," Mighty Jets president Abubakar Nallah told BBC Sport.

Pele is also said to be appealing against his punishment. - additional reporting by BBC


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT