KwaZulu-Natal MEC for safety and security Bheki Cele said yesterday that the weekend robbery at his home at Umhlanga, outside Durban, was more than just an ordinary burglary.
Cele told Sowetan that a cabinet full of criminal reports were among the goods removed from the house. Burglars broke into his home on Saturday afternoon while he was attending an ANC meeting.
Contrary to reports, Cele insists that no VIP protection guards were on duty at his home at the time of the break-in.
The burglars gained entryby breaking through the front door.
"It seems that apart from my personal belongings they were also interested in my files. Some documents were lying upside down, suggesting they had been read.
"Apart from a plasma-screen TV, a home-theatre system and a wristwatch, files containing criminal reports faxed to me were also taken."
Cele said he did not have private guards at his home, and refused to discuss whether or not this will now change.
"I have never had any security guards. At present an SAP officer is on duty, but only until the front door is fixed. I will go back to my home and live my life as normal. I do not want to discuss my security plans in the media," he said.
On Monday, opposition political parties in KwaZulu-Natal said the incident was proof that the government was failing to protect citizens against crime.
Police spokeswoman Phindile Hadebe was not aware of any files having been removed. She said investigations into the robbery were continuing and no arrests had been made.
At the time of the robbery, Cele was at an ANC provincial general council in Tongaat, where delegates passed a resolution to support Jacob Zuma as the party's next president.
A statement released after the two-day meeting said: "We have resolved that, as the ANC in KwaZulu-Nata, we have to support Jacob Zuma as the party's next president."
Cele is known to be a staunch Zuma supporter, with ambitions to become the province's premier should Zuma becomes president of the country in 2009.
Zuma's challenger for the ANC presidency is Thabo Mbeki, whose supporters want him to run for a third term as the party's president.
Eastern Cape has officially come out in support of Mbeki.