In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.
Let them go hungry.
That's what education authorities in the Eastern Cape might as well be saying to the thousands of children who went without food yesterday.
They are waiting, with empty bellies, for their share of a multimillion- rand feeding scheme.
Granted, some kids were fed yesterday, but many were not.
So much for the Education Department's promises.
"We are in the dark. We have no information and no one has come to us to explain why there is no feeding," Daliwe Public School principal, Mbuyiselo Zamane, said yesterday.
The 345 children in Cathcart were last fed at school on the day their school was closed last year.
At Ebhotwe Lower Primary School in Mdantsane, dry bread was the only thing on the menu for the day.
"There has been no drink, no Rama and no jam, but only bread," he said.
The principal of Londolozani Lower Primary School at NU10 in the township, Thobeka Mnyanda, also said only bread was supplied.
Middledrift's Masibambane School for the Disabled's principal, Kholeka Songwiqi, complained that her school had been neglected for many years.
What's happened? Premier Nosimo Balindlela promised that all primary school children would be fed from February 1.
But all the primary schools that Sowetan contacted last week had reported zero delivery of the desperately needed nutrition diet.
Provincial education spokesman Loyiso Pulumani said some of the service providers might be experiencing logistical challenges.