Sat Oct 22 09:07:09 SAST 2016

Witnesses and perpetrators refuse to cooperate

By unknown | Jan 18, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Kingdom Mabuza

Kingdom Mabuza

The threatened investigation into who heckled ANC president Thabo Mbeki in Pietermaritzburg has not been made, Sowetan was told yesterday.

Mbeki's speech at the reburial of ANC stalwart Moses Mabhida last year was disrupted by a group of people who booed him.

The leaders of the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal set up a team to investigate the heckling and report back to Luthuli House.

A source told Sowetan that the investigation could not take place because witnesses of the incident refused to appear before the investigating team.

"People identified to serve on the team declined to take their positions and were replaced."

The new team consisted of ANC, Cosatu and SACP members in the province.

The sourcesaidan ANC national executive committee member attended a meeting of the KwaZulu-Natal executive committee this week to discuss the progress of the the investigation - or the lack of it.

The ANC's KwaZulu-Natal secretary-general, Senzo Mchunu, said that "there was progress".

He denied that witnesses and hecklers were not cooperating in the investigation.

"People came forward, but there are interviews outstanding," said Mchunu.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT