Sat Oct 22 19:50:17 CAT 2016

Baloyi's mouthwatering clash with Gainer called off

By unknown | Jan 09, 2007 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Bongani Magasela

Bongani Magasela

The heart-racing prospect of seeing Cassius Baloyi and Derick Gainer collide for the IBO junior lightweight belt at Emperors Palace on February 3 will not happen.

Baloyi's trainer Nick Durandt said the American, a former WBA featherweight champion, made unreasonable demands.

Terry Pettifer, spokesman for Golden Gloves, announced on Sunday that Baloyi will now fight Robert Arrieta. The Argentine was outpointed by Mzonke Fana at Nasrec Arena last month in the elimination bout for the IBF junior lightweight title.

Gairy St Clair was the first opponent to pull out. The Australian, who ended Baloyi's reign as the IBF and IBO champion on July 29, is understood to have outpriced himself.

Durandt is relieved that Arrieta has accepted the fight.

"I know what to expect from him. I saw him when I helped Mzonke and I think Baloyi will knock him out within 12 rounds," he said.

Victory will see Baloyi become the first local prize fighter to win five "world" titles in three weight categories.

Pettifer added that the full programme of the "Ali At The Palace" tournament, which will involve Laila Ali against Gwendolyn O' Neill, has been finalised.

Peter Mashamaite will defend his IBO Intercontinental super middleweight belt against Mpush Makambi, while Khotso Motau defends his national middleweight crown against Xolani Ngemntu.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT