In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.
"They killed my baby girl and now it's time they pay for their stubbornness and negligence," said grieving Butterworth mother Vuyiswa Mavata.
Her baby died during birth at the Butterworth Hospital maternity ward a week ago.
But Mavata was only discharged from the hospital on Monday after receiving several stitches on her private parts.
Yesterday Mavata, pictured, told Sowetan that her womb had been permanently removed after a botched birth.
She claimed that a doctor who helped her give birth had ignored her pleas to use a Caesarean instead of the conventional method.
"The nurses made fun of me, saying I was scared of labour pains. Then a doctor arrived, and I also told him to operate on me instead of me giving birth conventionally, but he too teased me.
"One of the nurses even told me to shut up because I was making too much noise," she said.
Mavata said the doctor read her clinic card and insisted that he would not perform a Caesarean.
"I will do it the normal way," she reported the doctor as saying.
Things went awry in the middle of labour as it became clear the doctor and his team were experiencing extreme difficulty in extricating the baby with surgical pincers.
The doctor finally managed to pull the baby out, but it was already dead, said the distressed mother.
"The doctor just said 'sorry'," she said.
Mavata said the nurses continued to subject her to cruel treatment, saying she was fine while she was in fact suffering from severe pain.
"Even after they transferred me to Cecilia Makiwane Hospital in Mdantsane, no one helped me into an ambulance."
Mavata is threatening to sue the Health Department for negligence.
The department said yesterday the doctor concerned had a right to decide whether the patient needed a Caesarean operation or not. But spokesman Sizwe Kupelo promised the matter will be investigated.