Sun Oct 23 08:23:51 CAT 2016

Gas fumes snuff out family

By unknown | Dec 18, 2006 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Seven members of a family in Ermelo, Mpumalanga, were killed this weekend from inhaling gas fumes while they were sleeping.

The family had apparently left their coal stove burning when they went to bed on Thursday night. All seven, including three pensioners, a visiting granddaughter and her two children, were killed in their sleep.

They were identified as Alfred Sukazi, 62, Betty Thenjekwayo, 56, Suzan "NaSkhosana" Skhosana, 74, Sifiso Madonsela, 7, Phindile Motha, 21, her daughter Nozipho, 4, and nine-month-old Samkelo.

Superintendent Abbey Khoabane of the eastern highveld area police in Secunda said the seven bodies were discovered after a neighbour alerted the police on Friday morning.

"The neighbour became suspicious when she woke up on Friday morning and did not see any movement from the family house.

"She always finds one of the two grannies busy in the yard when she wakes up, but this time she was nowhere to be seen," he said. - McKeed Kotlolo


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT