Close to 50 people have already lost their lives on the roads in the North West since the launch of the Arrive Alive campaign at the beginning of the month.
Jerry Thibedi, the provincial MEC for roads, safety and public works, told a prayer meeting for road users at St Barnabas Church in Mobapane that "by Wednesday the number of fatalities had doubled to 47".
Thibedi, pictured, said: "Sixteen were drivers, 20 passengers and 11 pedestrians. This is more or less the same number of fatalities we recorded during the same period last year".
He said the province would enforce the Supreme Court of Appeals' ruling that says vehicles belonging to drunk drivers and habitual offenders be forfeited to the State.