Fri Oct 21 13:36:04 SAST 2016

Sangoma cleared on missing kids

By unknown | Dec 13, 2006 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Canaan Mdletshe

Canaan Mdletshe

The sangoma arrested in connection with the disappearance of two KwaZulu-Natal toddlers walked free yesterday.

The Verulam magistrates' court struck the case off the roll because of a lack of evidence against her.

Busisiwe Mbotho, 26, was arrested after she had allegedly called the parents of the missing children and demanded R100000 for their release.

Three-year-old Asanda Ncube and her one-year-old cousin S'bonga Ncube went missing on Christmas Day last year.

According to court papers, the family paid Mbotho R4000, but never got their children back.

She was given a three-year suspended sentence for demanding money. She has repaid the R4000 to the family.

Speaking to Sowetan outside court yesterday, Asanda's mother, Nobuhle Ncube, said: "We have been hoping that she would tell us what happened to our children, and we are so disappointed that the charges have been withdrawn without her having given us a clue."

The toddlers, of Mahlabathini in Verulam, outside Durban, went missing while playing with other children in a neighbour's yard.

"It has been a long time since their disappearance, but we are still hoping to find them," said Ncube.

"We hardly sleep at night, thinking about what might have happened to them. Our Christmas wish is to find our children or their remains."

The family have tried traditional healers and religious leaders, but to no avail.

As the one year anniversary of their children's disappearance nears, they are appealing to anyone with information to call them on 076-184-9897.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT