Wed Oct 26 23:14:00 SAST 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Dlamini ‘in facility where gays and police are placed’

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.

Visiting mom will return home with her son's coffin

By unknown | Dec 11, 2006 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Themba Molefe

Themba Molefe

Dzudzanani Netshisaulu is a mother in mourning.

"I came to Johannesburg to visit my son and see his new house, now I have to take him back home in a coffin."

Her words summed up her anguish after her chartered accountant son, Avhatakali Netshisaulu, was murdered last week. He was the son of City Press editor Mathatha Tsedu.

The 31-year-old Avhatakali and his wife, Mulalo, 28, moved into their new house in North Riding just a week before his charred body was found in the boot of his burnt-out vehicle in a field at Nooitgedacht, near Muldersdrift.

He had left his home for a meeting in Honeydew on Thursday evening, but 20 minutes later he called Mulalo, a Gauteng SAPS labour relations officer. He told her he was boxed in by two cars and thought he was being hijacked.

"That was the last time I spoke to him because his cellphone was on voicemail a few minutes later when I tried to call him back," said Mulalo.

Police and emergency workers later found a car on fire, and, after extinguishing the blaze, discovered a body in the boot.

Mulalo identified the car as her husband's when she arrived on the scene, while out looking for him.

Mulalo said no patrol car was dispatched after she had phoned the police in Honeydew.

She said a policeman asked if her husband's car had a tracking device and when she said it had, advised her to contact the tracking company to help her.

But the tracking company, Netstar, told her that it could not pick up the vehicle's signal and she again called the police, begging them to send out a patrol car. Still the police ignored her plea.

"Had the Honeydew police just deployed three cars, maybe my husband's life could have been saved," she said.

Mulalo and her brother, Awelani Muhanelwa, then drove around frantically within the Honeydew and Muldersdrift area in search of her husband - only to come across firefighters battling to put out the flames of her husband's burning car.

She later identified the burnt body that was found inside the boot as that of her husband's.

Netshisaulu qualified as a chartered accountant in February and the couple got married in April.

Everything seemed to be going well for the newlyweds. In October Netshisaulu started a new job at Anglo-Platinum and told his wife he was in line for a promotion.

The couple were so proud of their new home that they immediately invited Netshisaulu's mother to visit it.

"I think it was a sign from God. He wanted me to come here and spend the last few days with my son before taking him away. Now I will take him back home [to Limpopo] in a coffin," she said.

A devastated Tsedu was yesterday still trying to come to terms with his son's brutal murder.

"At the core, really, is why did it have to happen like this. We sit with unanswerable questions because we can't see a definable material benefit that those who did this would have derived.

"They did not take his car. The wallet and cellphone have also been found," said Tsedu.

lSAPS's Director Govindsamy Mariemuthoo has urged Mulalo to lodge a complaint if she was "unhappy" with the way the police handled her distress call on Thursday evening. No arrests have been made.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT