Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.
The first death of the Eastern Cape's summer circumcision season was reported yesterday.
Provincial Health Department spokesman Sizwe Kupelo said 18-year-old Xola Mbuqe died at the weekend in the intensive care unit of Mthatha's Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital.
He was admitted with signs of gangrene on his genitals, dehydration and hallucinations that were possibly a consequence of the dehydration.
Kupelo said that authorities were investigating the death, and would possibly question the traditional nurse who had been responsible for Mbuqe's care.
Kupelo also said two "bogus" surgeons were arrested in the Ngqeleni area yesterday, and would appear in court soon on charges of conducting four unlawful circumcisions.
One was a youth, aged 20, himself circumcised only months ago, who continued circumcising boys while he was being hunted by police.
Originally sought in connection with the circumcision of seven underage boys, he confessed on his arrest to 10 more.
Kupelo said another two "bogus" traditional surgeons, aged 19 and 25, appeared in the Libode magistrates' court earlier this week for illegal circumcisions.
They would remain in custody until their next appearance on January 31.
"This is very encouraging for us because it means both traditional surgeons will not go back and redo those barbaric acts," he said.
Police were still searching in the same area for another unregistered surgeon, dubbed "Mr Chicken" for his a-chicken-and-10-rand fee for conducting a circumcision.
It was believed the man, also known by the nickname "Mtshayina", had circumcised 70 boys over the past 10 days.
"Attempts are being made to capture him," Kupelo said.
"He's a real threat to the lives of our people."
Kupelo said there were nine circumcision-related deaths in the Libode area during the winter season. - Sapa