Wed Oct 26 02:38:02 SAST 2016
Mkhwebane leaves Zuma‚ Van Rooyen interdicts

The new public protector says she will leave the dispute over the state capture report prepared by h.

Mom's pain over dead twin babies persists

By unknown | Nov 29, 2006 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Pumza Fihlani

Pumza Fihlani

Day 419 and Nobuhle Ndlebe has still not buried her twin babies. The latest delay? She now has to wait for DNA results.

Natalspruit Hospital, where the babies were born, had promised that DNA tests done on a corpse exhumed last month would be ready in two weeks.

It has been a month and still no results are available.

Ndlebe gave birth to twin boys - Lindokuhle and Lindelani - on October 28 last year. Her babies were born prematurely and died a few days after their birth.

This was the beginning of a long and painful road for Ndlebe.

Ndlebe's hell began after Natalspruit Hospital mistakenly gave one of her twins, Lindokuhle, to a family from KwaZulu-Natal. The corpse, which was buried in Bergville in July, was finally exhumed but Ndlebe still does not have her baby. Now she has to wait for results to confirm that the corpse that was exhumed is baby Lindokuhle.

Ndlebe refuses to bury her children separately.

By yesterday the hospital had not kept its word. A month ago it had promised to "speed things up because of the urgency of the matter".

Authorities at Natalspruit Hospital told Sowetan the results would be available in two weeks - which was November 10 - but when Sowetan contacted the hospital that week, a hospital official said: "The results will only be available next week."

Sowetan contacted the hospital again on November 20 but was told the results would be ready after a week.

This deadline passed yesterday, and still nothing.

A distraught Ndlebe contacted Sowetan yesterday and said: "These people have caused me so much pain. Why can't they just give me my boy? I need closure."

While the hospital drags its feet in producing Lindokuhle's DNA results, Lindelani's body is lying in another mortuary.

Ndlebe said: "The mortuary told me I will have to bury Lindelani soon. They said his body is badly decomposed."

Efforts by Sowetan to reach the hospital for comment yesterday proved futile. Sowetan was told that acting chief executive EM Tuploy was "locked in meetings the whole day" and could not be disturbed.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT