Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.
A Port Elizabeth school has approached the high court to get the Eastern Cape's Education Department to decide on the fate of two boys caught with dagga.
The application was heard on Tuesday, and on Wednesday Alexander Road High School received the department's decision, dated November 3, not to expel the boys, principal Peter Manser said yesterday.
"The application from the school was to get the department to make a decision and apply the South African Schools Act."
Manser said it had been an "emotional time" for the parents, the children and the school.
He was relieved that a decision had finally been made though the school's governing body had recommended expulsion.
Expulsion was recommended to the department by the governing body after both pupils admitted to their misconduct on August 7 at a disciplinary council hearing.
The boys, who are under 18, were caught with dagga. One boy was supplying it, Manser said.
Court papers were filed on Tuesday after waiting for a decision from the department.
The boys were suspended for 14 days, but later readmitted to classes because of the department's failure to decide on their fate. - Sapa