The Gautrain's concession company Bombela consortium has denied allocating any work to companies linked to businessman Schabir Shaik, as some media reports have suggested.
A statement released on behalf of the Gautrain Project responded to a news report on SABC radio station SAFM on Monday that said Shaik's companies, Nkobi Holdings and Kobitech Transport Systems, were among those listed on the Gautrain prospective supplier database, which appeared on a website.
Gautrain has denied this and explained that although, "these companies were allegedly linked to Schabir Shaik, no work had been given to these companies by the consortium".
Barbara Jenssen, spokesperson for the Gautrain project, said that the facility, which was created in 2001, "was used as a management tool for the project".
She said it acted as a reference list for Bombela and other companies involved in the project but that companies found guilty of dealings with Shaik would not have made it into the tender process.
"The prospective supplier database will be used in procurement processes, driven completely by the concession company Bombela, as a source when tenders are called for," said the statement.
Ten of Shaik's companies, including Nkobi Holdings and Kobitech Transport Systems, were involved in his trial relating to dealings with Jacob Zuma.
Judgment on Shaik's appeal will be known on Monday. - With Sapa