Mon Dec 22 16:13:31 SAST 2014
Pearl Thusi and daughter involved in an accident

Model, actress and radio personality Pearl Thusi was in a car accident that left her and her daughte.

Cabbie returns over R7.9m to couple

By Sapa-AFP | Nov 20, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 49 ]

A Singaporean taxi driver has been heralded as a hero after he returned R7,953 300 ($900,000) in cash to a vacationing Thai couple who left the money in his cab.

Sia Ka Tian, 70, was shocked to find the money in a black paper bag on the back seat on Monday after he dropped the couple off at a shopping centre.

"When I saw the money, I thought, trouble is here. I was sure there was at least $200,000 in the bag," the Straits Times quoted the 31-year veteran in the taxi business as saying.

But when he brought the money to transport company ComfortDelGro's lost-and-found office, his stunned colleagues counted Sg$1.1 million in thousand-dollar bills.

"The money is unimportant to me. It doesn't belong to me, so how can I use it?" he told the newspaper.

The Thai couple reported the loss to the transport company and Sia was waiting for them when they arrived to claim the money.

The report did not say what the couple were doing with that large sum.

The driver received an undisclosed cash reward from the grateful couple, whose names have been withheld, and the company also plans to give him an award for good service.

"Finding one million dollars in cash is not an everyday affair and in fact, we wonder how many people would have possibly been tempted" to pocket it, company spokeswoman Tammy Tan told AFP.

"We are immensely proud of him and are glad that the passengers recovered their money.'

It was the second most valuable item returned by a cabbie working for the company. In 2009, another taxi driver returned fives kilos (11 pounds) of gold bars worth Sg$377,000.

Surely not in MZANSI....Mageza's...haha, they not crazy!!

Nov 21, 2012 10:38 | 0 replies

Modimo ga a go fe ka letsogo, le ka leoto o ago ragela

Nov 20, 2012 11:36 | 0 replies

Apparently semen is good for the skin as well!
She should have just milked her "man-cow" !!

Nov 20, 2012 11:11 | 0 replies

Tourists my a$$!! Why are they walking around with that type of money - maybe they are drug dealers or something. Hope they at least rewarded the poor man!!

Nov 20, 2012 11:5 | 0 replies

I wonder how much they reward him, $10? Again I wonder if it a cap driver of Tshidilamolomo, will he return it?

Nov 20, 2012 10:58 | 0 replies

WOW! He got his reward after handing in the money. WOW! again.

Nov 20, 2012 10:48 | 0 replies

i would have taken the money for sure!!!!!!

Nov 20, 2012 10:40 | 0 replies

December
broke as i am i dont think i will return it
o tla e tshola
---------------------------------------------------------
I don't think he will, he was given a lump-some for returning the money to the righful owners.

Nov 20, 2012 10:38 | 0 replies

Babedollz
ahhh surely not in Mzansi.
--------------------------------------------------
@Babe, I will say it again aswell, Definitely not in Mzansi, even the so called pastors if it was found by one they would just keep quite and pocket it, and later claim God did His miracle,he gave them money when they needed it most.

Nov 20, 2012 10:35 | 0 replies

jerrrr this is a lie such big amount of money then mampara returned it?

Nov 20, 2012 10:29 | 0 replies