Man freezes to death after fainting in cold storage unit
An employee of a Taiwanese pharmaceutical distributor fainted and froze to death in a cold storage room in New Taipei, local media reported.
Pan Shih-che, 34, had only worked at Baida Medical Products Co for about one month when he fell unconscious Monday while retrieving medical products from a cold storage room, the Apple Daily news service reported.
He not wearing anything over his t-shirt when he entered the unit where the temperature was minus 25 degrees Celsius, the report said.
Police said Pan most likely fainted because the door had closed behind him, and a block of dry ice used to cool the unit had a rip in its seal, causing carbon dioxide to leak out.
His body was found by a co-worker who noticed he had been missing for over two hours.
The city's workplace safety officials said Baida was negligent in not installing sensors and failing to train new employees on workplace safety.
Authorities gave the company two weeks to fix these problems or face a fine of up to 150,000 Taiwan dollars (5,080 US dollars).
Pan is survived by his pregnant wife of six months.
Baida is a distributor for global pharmaceutical company Baxter International Inc. A Baxter spokeswoman told dpa Tuesday that the company had no oversight over safety at Baida.
Baida's spokesman declined to comment on either the investigation into the incident, or whether it would compensate the victim's family.