Thu Oct 23 14:23:59 SAST 2014
'Pineapple juice' price to drop in November

Petrol price is set for another decrease in November..

Red bull drops Jesus ad in SA - VIDEO

By Sapa-AP | Mar 15, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 91 ]

Energy-drink maker Red Bull said it has dropped an advertisement in South Africa after an outcry from both Christians and Muslims for its portrayal of Jesus Christ walking on water.

South Africa's Roman Catholic bishops urged Christians not to drink Red Bull in traditional fasting for Lent ahead of Easter celebrations next month, stopping short of calling for a full commercial boycott.

The television cartoon implies Jesus walked on water because he had been invigorated by a miraculous energy drink and knew where there were hidden rocks to tread on.

South Africa's Muslim Judicial Council on Wednesday warned of consequences of "secular extremism" against any religious faith.

It said any "insult and satire" of Jesus targeted "the very foundation of Islamic theology."

Christ is a revered prophet in Islam.

In a message to Cardinal Wilfrid Napier, head of the Southern Africa Roman Catholic Bishops Conference, the Muslim council said the ad was hurtful to Christianity, Islam and religion as a whole.

"We wish that our voices can be united to make clear to any secular extremist that any attack or defacement of religious symbols and sacred spaces is not acceptable," the council said.

Cardinal Napier earlier called on Catholic worshippers to donate to charities any money they saved on Red Bull during Lent.

In a statement, the drinks maker said its humorous advertising always looks at "well-known themes."

"It is never our intention to hurt anyone's feelings," it said.

It said the ad, aired on Tuesday, was scrapped Wednesday, and Red Bull said it regretted it had caused such strong feelings in religious communities.

Cartoons depicting Islam's Prophet Muhammad triggered violent protests in Europe and across the Muslim world.

"There is a need for a new sensitivity toward people's beliefs," said Chris Townsend, an official of the Bishops Conference in South Africa.

"As on this occasion, people become very deeply offended," Townsend said.

Click here to view video

@Candyboy
@zaco

so inform me then.....i'm willing to listen and learn......before you answer read 1 peter 3:15.....be a good christian now.
==========================================================================
LOL

Mar 15, 2012 1:46 | 0 replies

to my God Fearing Christians, i apologise for the k@k i have said about your God & Faith......i sincerely apologise and will not be blasphemous towards you God and questions your intellect and your faith....please forgive me.

I do hope you will do likewise and accept the fact Christianity is not be all and end all.....i forgive you for being so fanatical about your faith.

Now let’s all be merry and love one another as instructed by your God......forgive & forget....!

Jeremiah 32:27

Mar 15, 2012 2:10 | 0 replies

@Bumboklaat
@Shredder
@Bumboklaat
Don't hold your breath
==================================================================================
I won't. But it is and will be for your own good.
=============================================
Is it for my own good that I get brainwashed into being ashamed of myself and my roots and origins? Is it for my own good that I have to live my life like a supreme being who thinks lowly of others simply because they don't share my views and lifestyle?
Is it for my own good then that I should praise a god I don't understand and go around telling people they are going to hell?
Who are you to tell me what's good for me?
I am perfectly happy with my life and I don't need any white @ssed brainwashed m0ron to come and tell me what is good for me and what is not!
==============================================================================
Shhhh! Take it easy. No need to swear at me.

Mar 15, 2012 2:13 | 0 replies

@Zaco, Yes I am a preacher and a Prophet for sure..Those that have been sent by God speak the words of God and do not take glory for themselves..

Mar 15, 2012 2:17 | 0 replies

I saw the advert and there is nothing wrong with it. Batho ba rata go balabala man, nxa.

Mar 15, 2012 2:17 | 0 replies

ProphetofGod
===============
yep_ you deserve the double honor! i honour preachers, they are rare and in short supply( i mean holyGhost preachers) hope u not nigerian......seriously

Mar 15, 2012 2:19 | 0 replies

I wonder why Sowetan did not block comments for this article.

Mar 15, 2012 2:25 | 0 replies

DJWinner
I wonder why Sowetan did not block comments for this article.
==========
why should they? i dont see any unbecoming comments here....

Mar 15, 2012 2:27 | 0 replies

@zaco
===============================================================================
Come on now Zaco. Give the Nigerians a break. The wolves are everywhere and there is lots of the in Mzansi too :)

Mar 15, 2012 2:27 | 0 replies

I can't believe that some of you made such disrespectful comments. Biting the hand that feeds you..nc nc nc......

Mar 15, 2012 2:28 | 0 replies

sentle...................................weeeeeeeeeee

sentle...............

s e n t l e....................................karabo asseplif

Mar 15, 2012 2:5 | 0 replies