Fri Sep 19 19:51:22 SAST 2014
5 things you should know about this week

It's very difficult to keep track of news amongst hundreds of headlines a day. So we will pick out t.

Little girl's nightmare

By Nomaswazi Nkosi | Jan 02, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 32 ]

PLAYING in your neighbourhood's streets with your friends should not be such a dangerous activity, but for an eight-year-old girl of Sebokeng, in the Vaal, her own front yard became a sexual predator's hunting ground.

"I was playing in the streets with my friends and this man gave me R1 and said I must go to the shop to buy him two cigarettes," she told Sowetan.

When she went to his house to give him his cigarettes he pulled her into the house and shut the door.

"He threw me onto the bed and raped me," she said.

The door had been left unlocked and her rapist's brother discovered them.

He immediately alerted their sister.

"His sister took me home and and they called my mother," she said.

Her mom was so angry she grabbed a knife and had to be prevented from attacking the man, the girl related.

The man was beaten up by the community.

When asked how old the man was, the girl replied: "He is as old as my grandfather".

This happened in January last year and in June the man was sentenced by the Sebokeng Magistrate's Court to 20 years' imprisonment for her rape, in addition to a separate life sentence for the rape of a disabled girl.

The little girl said she was very scared that people would call her names because of what happened to her.

During the trial she was scared that other people would be around to see her and hear her story.

"I used to have bad dreams, but not anymore. I just want to forget what happened," she said.

She received counselling from the Stratford Clinic Crisis Centre and her file was "closed", meaning she had received the amount of counselling the social worker had prescribed for her.

The girl's teenage cousin, however, said the experience had changed her.

"She used to play with other children, but she doesn't anymore. She plays all alone. Even when she's sent to the shop she sometimes brings the wrong things back. And she cries a lot and when we ask her what's wrong she'll say she fell or hurt herself, but we don't see any scratches or anything," she said.

"Her performance at school dropped as well and her parents had to be called. So now that he's in jail maybe she can go back to concentrating at school," she said.

- nkosin@sowetan.co.za

8 years old?Askies my kid,may God be with you.

Jan 02, 2013 7:49 | 0 replies

i cant imagen what this little girl is going through, these people who committe violent crimes should be hanged thats all

Jan 02, 2013 1:50 | 0 replies

Men in this country perpetually leave me baffled.

Jan 02, 2013 1:51 | 0 replies

I hope he did not infect her with incurable diseases!!!! stupidman

Jan 02, 2013 2:1 | 0 replies

Iam sorry but iam scorched earth on such matters, just as i would of executed all of them dutch boers that raped hundreds of thousands of our african woman only just a few years ago so will i do the same to ANY!! man black white or coloured that treats any black Azanian woman in this way..

Our African black females are Goddess and sould be treated as such full stop!!

Jan 02, 2013 2:5 | 0 replies

Osirus

So raping white, colord or indian women is okay with you?

Jan 02, 2013 2:9 | 0 replies

Osirus - "just as i would of executed all of them dutch boers that raped hundreds of thousands of our african woman"

Where do you get your history from?

Jan 02, 2013 2:11 | 0 replies

Osirus
"that treats any black Azanian woman in this way.. "
Not only black women, and not only Azanian women. The rape of anyone, male or female is altogether unacceptable. Animals that I know of don't do this. This little person is permanently damaged and will grow up to also have no respect for other people or herself. A terrible cycle which we allow, because we as a society do not say a big enough NO, WE WON'T ACCEPT THIS ANYMORE.

Jan 02, 2013 2:16 | 0 replies

Eish this planet earth is so confusing,you dont know where to run to cos people from all corners of this world are monsters.You are not safe everywhere you go.People who are close to you can attack,swindle and kill you.Be careful dont trust no one and make sure you keep your eyes wide open because while you sleeping you can be awaken with a warm klaap.People dont have mercy anymore.Be careful.

Jan 02, 2013 2:31 | 0 replies

Do you now agree with me and Zuma that we need cleansing?

Jan 02, 2013 2:49 | 0 replies

Oh! Sowetan. Call me stupid if you like, but this story is so untrue. This is totaly made-up story.

Jan 02, 2013 2:49 | 0 replies