Anglo workers refuse to work
Around 100 employees at Anglo American Platinum’s Thembelani mine in Rustenburg refused to start work this morning
Company spokeswoman Mpumi Sithole said in a statement that the miners refused to go down the mine shaft at the shift change and demanded to meet management to discuss a memorandum the workers handed over a week ago.
“The talks are currently happening between the six representatives, management, and members of UASA [the United Association of SA] and NUM [the National Union of Mineworkers] are part of the discussions.”
She said the rest of the mine’s employees continued to work as usual and described the situation as calm.
“We appeal to our workers to remain calm and to refrain from violent acts during this period,” Sithole said.
The nearby Lonmin Marikana mine was recently the scene of violent protests which began when rock drill operators downed tools two weeks ago. Last Thursday, a total of 34 people were killed in a shootout near the Marikana mine when police tried to disperse striking miners. More than 70 people were injured. Another 10 people had by then been killed in the violent protests earlier at the mine.
- Smaller producer Royal Bafokeng Platinum said it had received an undertaking that the 500 employees who participated in an illegal strike earlier this week would return.
It said allegations of intimidation would be independently investigated and appropriate action would be taken if required.
“In spite of the loss of approximately 14,000 tonnes planned to have been hoisted over the three days ... total tonnes milled for the month should remain unaffected due to the stockpile processed during this period,” it said.