Saloojee on full pay as bribe probed
FORMER ambassador to Iran, Yusuf Saloojee, will stay on full paid suspension until an investigation into allegations that he was bribed by MTN are completed.
However, it was not known when investigations into reports that he was bribed with a payment of $200,000 (about R1.65-million) would be finalised.
The money was allegedly paid by MTN in its successful bid to secure an operating licence in Iran.
"He's back in the country and has been put on full suspension [from July 1] for the duration of the investigation," said Department of International Relations and Co-operation spokesman Clayson Monyela.
In written replies to parliamentary questions earlier this week, International Relations Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane admitted that Saloojee was being investigated.
She said the former ambassador's financial disclosure form had also been submitted to the public service commission.
It has been alleged that MTN paid $200000 into the account of property attorneys Gildenhuys Lessing Malatji in April 2007. These funds went towards the purchasing of a home for Saloojee.
MTN has repeatedly denied all allegations.
However, they are currently facing a lawsuit by Turkcell, an Istanbul-based rival company which was also vying for the licence.