Wed Oct 26 02:31:10 SAST 2016
Mkhwebane leaves Zuma‚ Van Rooyen interdicts

The new public protector says she will leave the dispute over the state capture report prepared by h.

SAA bans 'exploding' Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones on flights

By Robert Laing | Oct 18, 2016 | COMMENTS [ 25 ]

South African Airways (SAA) has joined the growing list of airlines banning Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones from its flights.

This follows an order from the US Department of Transportation issued on October 11 which gave airlines flying within its jurisdiction four days to ban the phones from planes because they posed a fire hazard.

AFP reported the US government initially said that passengers attempting to board planes with the phones might face fines‚ but later clarified that such passengers will simply not be allowed on planes.

“Passengers who try to evade the ban by packing the phone in their checked luggage may be subject to criminal prosecution in addition to fines. Packing the phones in checked luggage increases the risk of a catastrophic incident‚” the department said.

The BBC reported on Sunday Air Berlin had banned the phones with immediate effect. Larger German rival Lufthansa had a ban on flights to the US‚ and was planning to impose the restriction across all flights.

“The Galaxy Note 7 device is prohibited completely and may not be carried by travellers on their persons‚ in carry-on baggage‚ in checked in baggage or as cargo‚” SAA said in a statement on Tuesday.

SAA said the International Air Transport Association (Iata) had asked its members to follow the US government’s advice regarding the phones.

Lithium batteries that have been recalled by the manufacturer for safety reasons must not be shipped by air. The Galaxy Note 7 is powered by lithium batteries and has since been recalled by the manufacturer‚ Iata said.

Oct 18, 2016 3:45 | 1 replies

Makes sense....Transporting any phone, whether faulty or not is a risk anyway. Usually its done under strict supervision etc...

Oct 18, 2016 3:48 | 0 replies

As if the phones will do any more damage to what the board has done.

Oct 18, 2016 3:46 | 2 replies
Oct 18, 2016 3:47 | 0 replies

LOl......USA invention again

Oct 18, 2016 4:41 | 0 replies

PEOPLE- Buy Sony Experia (Z) range, on ebay. They work even underwater and in the Antarctic (not that you'd go to the Antarctic anyway) and NEVER explode.

Oct 18, 2016 3:48 | 2 replies

"(not that you'd go to the Antarctic anyway)" ppl still reeling from that Gugu Zulu thing heheh...was told that only white ppl go there hehehe...

Oct 18, 2016 3:52 | 1 replies

Naaa, I can't see a south african black person in Antarctica for, say, another million years. Black people hate the cold, lol.

Oct 18, 2016 3:55 | 2 replies

Suka wena , Sifiso has been there.

Oct 18, 2016 3:57 | 1 replies

Sorry, Sibusiso.

Oct 18, 2016 3:58 | 1 replies

Really???? Oh my word!!! I didn't know!!!

Oct 18, 2016 4:9 | 2 replies

Just checked. Sibusiso Vilane

Oct 18, 2016 4:10 | 0 replies

Skwama - there was also a black dude who was part of the Sanae team. I think it is just daft to go anywhere below 24C!

Oct 18, 2016 4:23 | 1 replies

LOL!! Oh my god!! I've lived in -24 degrees and always thought: 'Naaa, black people wouldn't want this'. Siberia can be -58, that's when you feel your liver, spleen, and other internal organs shivering, a cup of soup is obsolete, only Vodka do!!!

Oct 18, 2016 4:39 | 1 replies

I would die! I can't see how anyone can live in that

Oct 18, 2016 4:54 | 1 replies

LOL!! Yes, that's because you an African.

Oct 18, 2016 6:20 | 0 replies
Oct 18, 2016 3:58 | 0 replies

Skwama - well the Sony will come in handy if the plane goes down due to a Samsung exploding :)

Oct 18, 2016 4:24 | 1 replies

Hahahahaha!!! This is not a place to make jokes, LOL!! behave yourself.

Oct 18, 2016 4:41 | 0 replies

EmptyTin I wonder if Samsung will have this booth at OR Tambo

Oct 18, 2016 3:52 | 0 replies

So we can't travel will our phones with us anymore.I've been travelling with my mobile since long time.Can someone explain for me please.I'm about to travel through Dubai soon.This can't be right,we used to be told to switch our mobiles off but this article is sobdisturbing.How can one travel without his or her me pls

Oct 18, 2016 4:13 | 1 replies

PartyMood - The Samsung note 7 has a defect, causing the battery to explode and the phone to burst into flames under certain conditions. Its not for all phones, just this specific brand and model.

Oct 18, 2016 4:22 | 0 replies

disturbing ...I meant.I hope they only talk about Note7

Oct 18, 2016 4:17 | 0 replies

Someone should buy zuma a note 7.

Oct 18, 2016 4:21 | 0 replies

With out Samsung Galaxy Note 7, SAA was already exploded.

Oct 18, 2016 5:46 | 0 replies