Fri Jul 01 20:52:50 CAT 2016

More than 98% pass rate for IEB’s 2015 matric exam

By Sowetan LIVE | Dec 30, 2015 | COMMENTS [ 29 ]

More than 98% of matriculants at 200 schools have passed the National Senior Certificate examinations set by the Independent Examinations Board (IEB) this year.

The 2015 pass rate of 98.3% is only 0.08 percentage points lower than last year’s number.

Are you one of the 98% of IEB matriculants who passed in 2015? Check your results here: http://goo.gl/TRmLMK

“The IEB is proud of the achievements of the class of 2015,” said IEB CEO Anne Oberholzer on Wednesday. “Learners have again shown that, with a commitment to hard work over their 12 years of schooling and supported by a dedicated cohort of teachers and parents, they have achieved the first major milestone in their learning careers.”

A total of 10,212 full-time and 563 part-time candidates wrote this year’s IEB exam – 236 more than a year ago due to eight new institutions joining the IEB since then.

All of the passing candidates’ marks were good enough to qualify for various levels of tertiary studies.

“When we talk about educating young people, it means so much more than ensuring the achievement of good results in the National Senior Certificate examinations or developing flawless technical know-how,” said Oberholzer.

“It means providing young people with the power to think for themselves, [and] to come to well-thought-through opinions that can be defended as moral, rational and socially constructive.”

The IEB said in a statement this week that no incidents had affected the integrity of the exam results. Umalusi, the quality assurance body, monitored the exams and declared the results fair and valid.

The IEB is an accredited independent assessment body operating separately from state and provincial examination boards. Most of the 200 IEB-affiliated schools are located across South Africa, with one in Mozambique and six each in Namibia and Swaziland.

The Department of Basic Education’s matric results for the rest of South Africa’s class of 2015 will be announced on January 6 2016 and will also be available on Sowetan LIVE.

RobinX

YEEEAAAARGH. Are we supposed to rejoice in the knowledge that another batch of children have "graduated" with a matric that is worth absolutely nothing? BIG DEAL. Thanks Angie.

Dec 30, 2015 7:11 | 3 replies

Shredder

Uncle Rob, are these the students of those expensive schools that are published in the other article? Good morning to you sir.

Dec 30, 2015 7:58 | 1 replies

RobinX

I've no idea. I think these are the usual schools for normal people - But I don't know. How people can afford those rates is beyond me.

Dec 30, 2015 8:2 | 1 replies

Dandan

You dont have to be ignorant it is because of the ANC government that has recognised black people's dignity, today they are CEOs,Ministers,Mayors,MDs etc they can afford unlike in the aprtheid where they were shutdown

We see the results of the ANC government its bright thats why we vote in numbers for the ANC

Dec 30, 2015 1:15 | 0 replies

minameismadubula

Hello Uncle. Are you back at work from your festive break

Dec 30, 2015 8:10 | 1 replies

RobinX

I had no break. Just Christmas day.

Dec 30, 2015 8:19 | 0 replies

MommaC

These are IEB affiliates, not government schools. They also offer an international accreditation exam

Dec 30, 2015 1:56 | 0 replies

Zimbali

I feel sorry for the 2% that failed , parents have spent a lot of money. They couldn't even get 30%.

Dec 30, 2015 7:33 | 1 replies

Shredder

Sawubona Zimbali ezidelelayo. Usaphila kodwa?

Dec 30, 2015 7:58 | 1 replies

Zimbali

Hello , angideleli ngisho iqiniso as it is :)

Dec 30, 2015 9:3 | 1 replies

lamolath

MY dear friend...IEB passing mark is not 30%

Dec 30, 2015 10:16 | 1 replies

Dandan

stop being fooled by white people there is nothing like 30% the rule says fail atleast one subject by 30% the rest must be above 50% on HG to qualify for university entrance

Read you black person the rule is there in front of you

Dec 30, 2015 1:18 | 0 replies

BiBi

well done, sho and non of these learners are from one of the most expensive schools,wonder what happened

Dec 30, 2015 7:57 | 1 replies

Shredder

You answered my question. I posed the question to uncle Rob. I didn't read the article obviously. We call that, "The Kgonyoh effect".

Dec 30, 2015 8:0 | 0 replies

Kalydosos

How can the students pass with such high percentage? Whilst in some areas there were no textbooks and teachers were on strike. #Angiemustfall.

Dec 30, 2015 8:27 | 3 replies

Limbane

It's pass one pass all,ANC slogan

Dec 30, 2015 8:32 | 0 replies

k_m

These are independent/private schools. Go and do some reading?

Dec 30, 2015 8:42 | 0 replies

Hosh6

Flippin hell some people can be so stupid. Do you f cuken know what IEB schools are? There can never be a shortage of books and teachers can't be on strike on those schools you idiot.

Dec 30, 2015 8:43 | 1 replies

therealmjove

Thanks for that. but now what about the stats for the rest of the normal schools?

Dec 30, 2015 8:59 | 1 replies

Hosh6

Ee munah your normal schools are going to ge their results.

Dec 30, 2015 9:9 | 0 replies

DemonBuster

These schools and teachers are NOT controlled and governed by SADTU

Dec 30, 2015 9:16 | 0 replies

DemonBuster

Just wait for SADTU schools peppered results they will be out in few days, and the incredible Angie Motshekga will do the most incredible, My kids will always stay at IEB school what ever the costs

Dec 30, 2015 9:19 | 0 replies

Nova747

I really hope these kids have set their own bar and not followed the mediocre pass mark set by our government. Oh well, there goes the unemployment statistics. Aiming for the moon, aren't we? That's a lot of kids to employ since many are not keen on furthering their education. What's the use anyway? Some incompetent nephews of political cadres are gonna be employed in their place, degree or not. Sad situation we have on our hands...A big up to them for putting in the effort.

Dec 30, 2015 9:22 | 0 replies

Comeback

These are results from prvt schools, what they forget to tell you is that the troublesome rebellious kids at these schools, the ones teachers can see that it's highly likely that they will fail matric are asked to register for matric exams independently. This means throughout the year they attend the schools but are not on the list of matriculants that the schools submit to IEB. what happens is when these kids fail the reputation of the school is not tainted, they're able to brag about their 100% pass year after year.

Dec 30, 2015 10:27 | 2 replies

RobinX

The fact remains that these mentioned have actually passed a GENUINE exam!

Dec 30, 2015 10:30 | 0 replies

MommaC

They do that in government schools too. The ones who the teachers believe won't pass, are not registered to write. It is this stupid system where the school gets rewarded on the pass rate. It is why we lose more than half the numbers. It is stupidity! Instead of using remedial classes and fixing the problem, they simply throw kids out the system. DISGUSTING!

Dec 30, 2015 2:0 | 0 replies

Comeback

yes Robin and I'm happy for the kids, it's just sad that if parents wants to guarantee quality education they should pay exorbitant school fees when education is a basic right

Dec 30, 2015 10:34 | 0 replies

Tman808

Dec 30, 2015 3:54 | 0 replies

nomxolisi

There is so much joy and peace in my life that i would love to share testimony My name is Karabo ,from Gaborone, Botswana: There was no peace in my life. The endless fights i had with my husband almost led to separation because i could not bare children and he was seeing another lady. My husband Onthusitse was so distant with no communication between us. There was a lot of tension both at home and at work. I was working hard but receiving very little pay and no promotion. One morning, reading the papers, i came across a testimony of another gentle man about how this great Mama Osman had helped him, I decided to give her a call despite the fact that she is based in South Africa and i was in Botswana. She gave me her power oil that helps most of her Clients who are living a happy life now. Mama Osman performed Special PRAYERS then cleansed me from the bad omens and cast me a powerful love Spell. She solved all my financial problems, bareness and my husband reconciled with me. We are now living a healthy happy marriage together and I am heavily pregnant expecting twins any time as i write. Please if you come across this, I recommend you to go and see Mama Osman a powerful traditional healer no matter what problems you are facing or where you are, she will help you. She helped me and i promise to share this testimony any where and every where as it might be of help to some one out there. You can contact Mama Osman on +27710083461 or email, mamaosman11@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2015 5:14 | 0 replies