Mon Sep 26 09:01:38 CAT 2016

14 tips to avoid being one of 28 vehicles hijacked every day

By Sowetan LIVE | May 28, 2014 | COMMENTS [ 30 ]

According to SAPS crime statistics, vehicle hijacking have increased by 5.4% to 9 990 incidents in 2012/13. This means that 28 motor vehicles were hijacked every day, on average.

Research findings shared on www.arrivealive.co.za indicated that the majority of hijackings occurred between 5 and 8pm when people were on their way home from work.

With this in mind, insurance companies urges motorists to be vigilant.

According to Robyn Farrell, Executive Head of 1st for Women Insurance:

“You are most vulnerable when you are getting into or out of your car.  Avoid idling in your driveway and make sure you enter and leave your driveway as quickly as possible.

“Another modus operandi of hijackers is to pretend to be policeman and get you to pull over.  We’ve also heard about hijackers bumping into the car in front of them, forcing the car to stop.  If this happens to you, and you do not feel safe stopping your vehicle, it is advisable to drive to your nearest police station,” says Farrell.

Farrell says that while driving away from the scene of an accident may have unforeseen legal and contractual consequences, the safety and wellbeing of 1st for Women’s customers will always come first. Each case will have to be assessed on its own individual merits.

Here are some other important tips to help avoid a hijacking:

1. Walk to your car confidently. Have your key ready but not visible. Only unlock your car when you are close by. Don’t talk on the phone as you walk.

2. Check the back seat before getting into the car, even if you left it locked.

3. A well-maintained car is less likely to break down - keep your car in good condition. If you do break down then pull over, turn the hazard lights on and call for emergency assistance.

4. Plan your route, drive with a GPS and let someone know what your route is and when to expect you somewhere.

5. Always check the rear view mirror to see if you are being followed. If you suspect you are then drive to your nearest police station or busy public area.

6. Avoid driving with windows open and keep the doors locked. Put all valuables out of sight.  If possible, install a smash-and-grab window film for extra protection.

7. Avoid distractions while driving. Checking Facebook and Twitter in the car is out!
  8. When approaching a red traffic light, slow down so that you only reach it when it turns green.

9. Make sure your driveway is well lit and clear from shrubbery.

10. If your gate is on a sensor then rather close it with your remote instead of waiting for it to close automatically. This decreases the possibility of someone slipping in after you.

11. Always park in a central, well-lit place, preferably with guards on duty.

12. When stopping behind another vehicle, leave half a vehicle length in front so you can make an emergency escape if necessary.

13. Change your routes and your schedule if possible on a regular basis.

14. Make it safer to arrive somewhere by phoning ahead asking someone to open and close the gate for you. You can also call your Security Company and request for them to meet you close to home.

TheRealMsKinks

When stopping behind another vehicle, leave half a vehicle length in front so you can make an emergency escape if necessary. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SOME Mzansi drivers see it as an opportunity to overtake you

May 28, 2014 11:57 | 1 replies

Mjove-a-hlanye

Hahahahaha, true that. But I can tell you that, that is one of my rules when I drive. I never come close to another stationery vehicle.

May 28, 2014 12:0 | 1 replies

TheRealMsKinks

Strue, a safe following distance is seen as an opportunity to cut in front of your #GRRRRR#

May 28, 2014 12:14 | 0 replies

Mjove-a-hlanye

I bet you in this country you can observe all you want, when they want your car, they want it and there's nothing one can do!!

May 28, 2014 11:59 | 0 replies

MommaC

Some guy tried to hijack me by Menlyn. I barked at him. Never seen a guy's eyes get so big or his legs move so fast.

May 28, 2014 12:4 | 3 replies

TheRealMsKinks

kwakwakwa....... a red hair madam barking....... you just killed me

May 28, 2014 12:17 | 1 replies

montlenyane

ha ha ha ha......! I think I will do the same as well.....! this is so bad

May 28, 2014 12:33 | 0 replies

Mjove-a-hlanye

Hhahahahahah good for you Momma, and just at that moment when his eyes went big, you shud have done one of those Jet Li's moves, you know, like hit him on his throat with your fist.... and kick him in the nuts...

May 28, 2014 12:29 | 0 replies

MommaC

:) I got such a fright that my eyes were probably as big as his were. It is kinda crazy the things you do when you are in those situations

May 28, 2014 12:37 | 0 replies

TheRealMsKinks

Walk to your car confidently. Have your key ready but not visible. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> You forgot, Ladies put your keys in your handbags (what is the use of having a monstrosity of a bag and then dangle your keys in the sho.pping mall, put them on the table when eating at a restaurant, etc)........

May 28, 2014 12:20 | 2 replies

Mjove-a-hlanye

Exactly MsKinks... its like those people who walk around with their keys in their hands. Cellphone I can understand but car keys???

May 28, 2014 12:30 | 0 replies

#Shredder#

Mponeng le nna ke koloi tendencies. I don't see white women do that. Maybe I don't pay much attention to them.

May 28, 2014 1:22 | 0 replies

montlenyane

You know......! I just moved in mo Pretoria and I have realized gore it is worse than Joburg ka crime. I just miss Joburg so much and I really hate Pretoria. I've already been mugged at the mall and somebody broke into my house while I was sleeping....! Haai maan, Pretoria is full of evil spirits, ek se vir jou

May 28, 2014 12:32 | 0 replies

Maduvula

'Avoid driving with windows open and keep the doors locked' my car was hijacked, the driver saw a car following him for some time, at some point he even overtook 4cars on a barrier line to see if the car will do the same, and it did, guess what, he didn't close his window in an air-conditioned vehicle or lock the doors, the hijacker just put his hand in and switched the vehicle off, and ordered him to move to the passenger side at gun point.

May 28, 2014 12:55 | 2 replies

BOKAKA2

What ever you saying just makes sense struu !!

May 28, 2014 1:21 | 1 replies

ChunkuBabyOil

Kwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 28, 2014 2:44 | 0 replies

D-zel_3.0

One Saturday afternoon I was driving behind this guy right next to Thokoza Park and it so happened that that Saturday it was a party for izikhothane. The guy had his windows open and these kids started harrassing him and one reached out and switched off his car, did not see what happened next as I quickly reversed and rushed to get the cops. By the time we came back which couldn't have been 5 minutes later the car was gone so I don't know if he was hijacked or if he managed to escape. Point is the wondow does not have to be fully closed by make sure noone can reach your ignition from the outside.

May 28, 2014 4:12 | 0 replies

madimetsha

No one is invicible, I drive in the JHB CBD at night a lot, I lock the car doors, ensure you know what is happenng around your car at any moment, put down ur cell phone and concentrate , hijackers look out for disctractions so they can pounce while you least expect it and you have no time to react, Whatsapp can wait....look out for any funny movements,

May 28, 2014 1:43 | 0 replies

Maduvula

masipa ao mara!

May 28, 2014 2:16 | 2 replies

ChunkuBabyOil

Kwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....eish ja neh

May 28, 2014 2:44 | 0 replies

BOKAKA2

You so right, ao mara Judge Thokozile Masipa Oscar is Guilty...

May 28, 2014 2:53 | 0 replies

BRA-MAFUTHA

This tips only applies to whites..

May 28, 2014 2:37 | 0 replies

BrothaX

Just make sure that your car has a Pirates or Mamelodi Sundowns sticker. If you decide to stick Kaizer Chiefs sticker then do that at your own peril.

May 28, 2014 2:39 | 0 replies

grunt

Why must we live like scared fugitives ? The friggin SAPS must do their jobs and get the criminal behind bars, instead of selling their firearms to them.

May 28, 2014 3:37 | 1 replies

D-zel_3.0

Crime is a reality; found myself in too many tight spots to outsource my safety to the police who are never there when you need them. Rather be careful than sorry.

May 28, 2014 3:57 | 1 replies

Home_wrecker

I agree, people must be careful. This is not a joke!

May 28, 2014 4:2 | 0 replies