Thu Oct 27 04:56:50 SAST 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Dlamini ‘in facility where gays and police are placed’

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.

Swazi king to wed 14th wife

By Sapa-AFP  | Sep 17, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 341 ]

Swaziland's King Mswati III has chosen an 18-year-old beauty pageant contestant as his 14th wife, a palace spokesman said Tuesday, days before a much-criticised parliamentary vote.

"I can confirm that the king has introduced to the nation a new liphovela (royal fiancee)," said Ludzidzini palace governor Timothy Mtetwa.

Mswati, a 45-year-old who is sub-Saharan Africa's last absolute monarch, introduced Sindiswa Dlamini at a Reed Dance celebration over the weekend, Mtetwa told AFP.

She wore red feathers on her head -- a sign of royalty.

The young woman graduated from Mbabane's St. Francis High School last year and is a finalist in the Miss Cultural Heritage beauty pageant. The winner will be announced on September 28.

The king has come under fire for his household's lavish lifestyle while the tiny mountain kingdom's 1.2 million people struggle to make a living.

Mswati reportedly has a personal fortune of around $200 million and the UN estimates that 70 percent of his 1.2 million subjects live below the poverty line.

He has steadfastly resisted reforms.

The new engagement was announced at a festival which also counted regional delegates who will observe parliamentary elections on Friday.

Critics have slammed the polls as a sham, partly because political parties are banned and candidates are hand-picked by traditional leaders.

The weekend's celebrations were a smaller repeat of last month's official annual Reed Dance, where young virgins from across the kingdom gather and dance for the king.

"It just happened that the international community was there to witness the event," said Mtetwa.

The wedding only takes place once the fiancee falls pregnant. Dlamini will then become Mswati's 14th wife.

The monarch's colourful private life is off-limits in local media, but has drawn a lot of international interest.

Three wives left the household in recent years. The latest, Queen LaGija, fled the palace in 2012 claiming years of physical and emotional abuse.

Another queen, LaDube, was reportedly abused after she was caught in bed with the justice minister, a close friend of the king.

Mswati had kidnapped and married the queen when she was 16 in 2005.

he is the richest n it gives him an advantage

Sep 17, 2013 3:14 | 0 replies

Effing pervert b@st@rd.

Room for abuse. Sleep with her and dump her cos she didnt fall preggies.

Sep 17, 2013 3:24 | 0 replies

@shrap sharp there is no way I can explain and take u step by step on the king choosing wives virgins without me mentioning the word culture.

Sep 17, 2013 3:24 | 0 replies

Chunku,, r u thinking of relocating there???
No ways bra Khaps thank you , so he pressed the button and walaaaaa......18-year-old beauty pageant "here I am my King" with a big smile

Sep 17, 2013 3:24 | 0 replies

@ Gupta
Wha man wouldn't want to be pleased by his woman?

Sep 17, 2013 3:25 | 0 replies

@Ladube this article is about Mswati the horny if I want to say something about zuma I will say so without you trying to put words in my mouth, you should know that with me there are no sacred cows I am not worshipping leaders, I tell the truth which needs to be said end of the story,

No SA and Swaziland are not the same, SA is thee economic hub of Africa Swaziland is the boinking hole of SADC either than that what is your claim to fame? Thina here we are the diamonds of SADC, we host football world cup make a stirling job of it, we host Rugby and Cricket world cups nina are just the bonkees and the bonker, you might want to consider down my friend...?

Sep 17, 2013 3:26 | 0 replies

Okay Indespensible concentrate on being a pleasure you were born for it, I want to continue talking with Ladube lo ocinga ukuba i SA same as shyte hole called Swaziland. So nice to see you.

Sep 17, 2013 3:27 | 0 replies

And to think Zuma was worse.

King mang mang , How many kids do u have since you have 14 wife's?

Sep 17, 2013 3:28 | 0 replies

Khona ukushela uyakwazi yini uKing?

Sep 17, 2013 3:28 | 0 replies

and wena Guptaish u again diverted my attention from the real issue I had with Ms bhakajuju ,u and rob were quick to call me into order bt you are failing to admit and call ur friend to order for calling swazis monkeys ,as if you lot are better...

Sep 17, 2013 3:21 | 0 replies

@Indespensible, what is the matter with you and wanting to please men? is there nothing else going on in your life that it has to revolve around what men thinks and how to please them?

If a woman has not conceived and if she wants a baby she can adopt God knows there are scores of unfortunate children born from reckless women who want to breed to prove a point.

Sep 17, 2013 3:21 | 0 replies