Mon Nov 24 00:10:59 SAST 2014
Let's drool over the sizzling hot Top 12 in Mzansi

Set in the picturesque venue of the Munro Boutique hotel in Houghton, Johannesburg, the Mzansi’s Sex.

Pistorius negotiate out-of-court settlement with Steenkamp parents

By Sapa | Aug 20, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 142 ]

Oscar Pistorius’s lawyers are trying to negotiate an out-of-court settlement with the parents of his dead girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, The Times reported on Tuesday.

Pistorius’s lawyer Kenny Oldwage confirmed that they were in discussions with the Steenkamp family.

“You will understand this is a very sensitive situation,” he was quoted as saying.

Steenkamp and her half-brother Adam reportedly helped their pensioner parents Barry and June financially, including with the rent on their home.

Her parents have lodged a multimullion-rand civil claim against Pistorius for loss of income and emotional distress.

Pistorius’s lawyers want to settle the lawsuit before the outcome of the criminal trial.

Advocate Petrus “Dup” de Bruyn, for the Steenkamps, said ”nothing has been decided on yet”.

Steenkamp’s mother, June, declined to comment on the civil suit.

“This is just too much... we are grieving... missing our baby... our beautiful, beautiful daughter who should have been celebrating her birthday today [Monday],” June Steenkamp said.

Pistorius appeared briefly in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Monday for shooting Steenkamp on February 14 in his Pretoria home.

His trial for alleged murder was set for March 3 2014.

Whiz
Skwama
Swearing at someone on a public forum is so low, which is what you are, maybe you should read what he's been charged with, before you open your mouth.
..............................................................................................................................
Hhhmmm you can dish them but you cant swallow them huh Tsek you deserve it take it like a half man you are you piece of crap

@Skwama Me defending what? C'mon Mr W I thought you know me better than that, we call it SARCASM for a reason you know

Aug 20, 2013 11:12 | 0 replies

oldlady12
Dzel, yes, I did confuse it, and motlenyane pointed it out, and I thanked him/her for it.

As to OJ, I know it is American law. As I've said earlier, in SA law one could never claim financial compensation for a loss due to a criminal act, but it might have changed lately. Do you know for a fact that our law now allows for such civil claim, because I'm really interested in knowing?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SA Law allows for litigation in case of but not limited to injury, loss of limbs and death so long as the resultant loss leads to loss of income.

Before the Marikana Commission was even established I was calling for the miners to go straight to the litigation phase, I suspect one of the reasons for the commission was to delay this process where we are likely to see the biggest settlement ever.

An example would be a miner earning R 10,000 pm (I'll assume no y/y escalation) so the settlement is going to be R 10,000 * 12* 20 years (assuming the victim could still work for 20 years) = R 2.4m

I am not sure about one not being able to claim in the past though, that claim will be accepted with a pinch of salt. As far as I know we have always been able to sue individuals; you cannot claim the state unless they or their representative committed the crime but you certainly can sue the perpetrator.

Aug 20, 2013 11:33 | 0 replies

Skwama

Don't use the word murdered just yet, if you don't know what that means, that's for the court to decide, if there's PROOF, Reeva was a breadwinner for her parents, so Oscar feels sorry for them.

Aug 20, 2013 11:36 | 0 replies

RobinX

I wish you could have read the article and comment on it

Aug 20, 2013 11:37 | 0 replies

D-zel_1.0
Guys, guys, guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are two cases mentioned here:

The first case is the Criminal Case of Murder – this case is still going to proceed unhindered, this article has nothing to do with the criminal case which deals specifically on whether a murder was committed or not.
============================================
I was going to say exactly. Now some people here think Oscar is trying to buy the murder case to be droped.

Aug 20, 2013 11:41 | 0 replies

Gebuza
Naivegirl
Gebuza
Many white farmers have killed Black labourers and got away with just because they paid for a coffin and/or other funeral costs.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
And many black people killed white people in their homes without even being caught. What exactly is your point with the race thing?
######
If you follow the debate you will realise that I did NOT invoke the "race thing", I responded to a comment that "It's not a white thing to accept money for a raped or murdered child". Beacause I don't know of a case in SA where money was exchanged between a Black perpetrator and a white victim,I asked if then it's a white thing to offer money to their murder victims. Your question should have been directed to the one who brouht the "race thing" in, not me.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Did you follow the debate? She responded to a "it's a white thing to pay victims". So she said it is not a white thing. So you responded with whites that murders blacks and pay for the funeral.

Did I miss something?

Aug 20, 2013 11:50 | 0 replies

@~BOSEPA.2
hahahahaha, let's do it

Aug 20, 2013 11:50 | 0 replies

Dzel, thanks for the answer, but it does not address my question. I understand claims resulting to loss of anything from limbs to death, but that would be due to negligence, accidents, etc. SA law never allowed for financial claims as a result of a criminal activity. The sentence the criminal received was the punishment. I need you to be specific please. Do we now allow for financial compensation in criminal matters? In this case I can understand a claim, because he admits to killing her "by accident". That alone should be enough to claim. But, if we take any other criminal case, let's say an old couple on a farm, and the husband is killed. Cops find the killers. Plain simple murder. (Let's forget for a moment the perpatrators probably won't have money). Can that old woman now lodge a claim for loss of income due to husband (who did the farming) being killed?

Aug 20, 2013 11:51 | 0 replies

Mellow.Y?
@Skwama LOL what did I do now?
==========
Spanking for tricking me about the sarcasm, you were too sharp for me (I fell for it). No, I am talking about the Gauteng Intergrated Transport plan. Anyway this story is now dead, I've moved on to the Mugabe one.

Please join me there.

Aug 20, 2013 11:53 | 0 replies

I don't see a way out for him, it is just that state decided to give one last Christmas on the outside.

Aug 20, 2013 11:55 | 0 replies

oldlady12

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I keep on giving you an answer but you don't seem to understand what I am saying.

SA Law has always allowed for litigation which includes suing for financial compensation so I disagree with your claim. Not a lot of people would go for litigation but I can't recall a Law that said you couldn't sue. A claim not not limited to accidents, etc; so long as there is income lost and that is due to either negligent or deliberate acts by a given party you can sue.

SAPS for example has been sued since time immemorial including for unlawful loss of life; that you don't know about this does not mean it is not happening.

Aug 20, 2013 12:1 | 0 replies