Sat Nov 01 02:18:48 SAST 2014
Switch off appliances to avoid power cuts tonight

Power utility Eskom on Wednesday called on consumers to switch off geysers, pool pumps and all non-e.

Fewer children born with HIV: Zuma

By Sapa | Aug 02, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 12 ]

Reports indicate that fewer South African children are being born HIV-positive, President Jacob Zuma said on Thursday.

"In South Africa, we have been able to reduce both maternal and child mortality in the past three years," he told an African Union conference in Boksburg on maternal and health care on the continent.

"Mother-to-child transmission [of HIV] for instance, used to be 8.5 percent in 2008. It went down to 3.5 percent in 2010, and even more down to 2.7 percent in 2011.

"Since there are a million pregnancies per annum in South Africa, with approximately 30 percent HIV prevalence rate in pregnant women, it means that in 2008, a total of 25,000 children were born HIV positive in South Africa, but in 2011 there were 8100. This is a more than a 60 percent reduction," said Zuma.

While the figures for 2012 were still being verified, they were likely to be lower than those of 2011.

Zuma said reducing deaths of women and children during childbirth was one of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) for the continent to achieve by 2015.

Many had doubts that sub-Saharan African countries would be able to achieve the goal of significantly decreasing the mortality rate.

"It is generally believed that Africa in general, but sub-Saharan Africa in particular, is going to find it very difficult to achieve the health-related MDGs. Our view is that a lot can still be achieved in 900 days," he said.

One of several factors that could assist in achieving this goal was better food and nutrition for women and children.

Thus, the government was investing in farming projects around the country.

Zuma praised the fact that the event coincided with Women's Month in South Africa -- a time when women's rights are highlighted. National Women's Day is on August 9.

The three-day AU conference runs until Saturday. It is also being attended by AU commission chairwoman Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma and delegates from across the world, including Liberian president Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.

No thanks to you and your running zip, Sir.

Aug 02, 2013 7:37 | 0 replies

Very recently you published and article that youth do not condomise

Aug 05, 2013 7:42 | 0 replies

maybe it's because many people are affected so there's not much to be affected anymore.

Aug 05, 2013 7:41 | 0 replies

If the rate went up we know the political party that was anxiously waiting for the government to fail in this regard. They are so silent as if it's not a great achievement. Why are they so silent? Some of us do not only notice the bad. Great work SA government. Continue saving lives!

Aug 04, 2013 4:15 | 0 replies

@ Guptanistan1

You're too kind with your compliments, but thank you...

Leadership means having to do with a lot of careeer drones - all with their eye on the main chance. Life's too short!

I have exactly the same knowledge and awareness as some others and less than most. With this in mind I really think the country would be better off without my contribution.

Otherwise I'd become a tyrant. A benevolent tyrant, sure, but a tyrant non-the-less. Nations must seek their own collective destiny - that's whatevolution be about.

I jus' love pointing out the incompetence of those who have such large ego's to the public in general. I find nothing whatsoever to admire those wo have gone before because I note their deeds and not their speeches...

Aug 02, 2013 4:32 | 0 replies

@MasheleJ I am often amazed why well balanced great thinkers as yourself do not go for leadership (in public sector for instance) cause obvious you know your story and the country we be better with guys like yours leading us? Sorry I don't mean to put you on the spot but I am very impressed reading your views even on issues I don't agree with you on, you express yourself so eloquent and without arrogance and you are to the point, I really I admire your writing and thinking skills. You're a pleasure to read, wena:-)

Aug 02, 2013 2:40 | 0 replies

I wouldn't crow too much about this, Jake.

Your "beloved" Madiba shut his eyes to the issue and ol' Thabo tried to ignore it.

Official ANC policy, obviously!

Only after the activists, Zachie Achmad and his cronies had forced y'all and y'alls beetroot prescribing friend into the Constitutional court did you decide to try to embrace this community as a voting bloc.

But y'alls purposeful neglect reflecting your NEC support of this forget-about-it-policy caused the death of millions and I call now on the world
to witness the ANC shame.

Our memories are long!

If'n I was AIDS-HIV infected I wouldn't vote for the ANC in a million years.

But I'm not and I wern't gonna vote for y'all anyway - so there!

Aug 02, 2013 12:34 | 0 replies

Robin-

I am trying to locate JZ's sources and statisticians, all I found was the link below. I dont think Unicef has a copy of that report yet

Read more http://www.citypress.co.za/news/fewer-children-born-with-hiv-zuma/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=fewer-children-born-with-hiv-zuma

Aug 02, 2013 11:17 | 0 replies

@Angelofpeace its those basic questions you just asked which leads me to concl that this BS president is giving us a 'feel good moment' cause he thinks that we shoud be content with bedtime stories, his brains are underdeveloped and he wants to talk about stuff which requires capacity to process information.

Most times anyway he doesn't really know what's happening on the ground, by his own admittance, when he was so called shocked that ppl in SA still live in poverty, when he visited underdeveloped area in the country,

Aug 02, 2013 10:3 | 0 replies

"Fewer children born with HIV: Zuma" that's quite a relief to know this Dr Zuma, thank you!!!

@Robinx the good thing for us SAns is that with an uneducated president like him trying to convince so many about stuff he knows nothing about, sooner or later he will be proven wrong again, when NGO will still be fielding off numbers of orphaned hiv babies and the death toll that follows, I trust the UN's reports more than I trust SAn gov to tell us the truth, zuma is always lying especially prior to the elections, he has to feign 'some' good news for the feel good effect which is temporary anyway, its like zuma is a glue SAns are sniffing, after the high comes the low, that's why don't trust him and his cabinet.

Aug 02, 2013 9:59 | 0 replies

maybe somethings are complete honesty here. what can kids learn if the leaders can hardly keep thier pants on. epic fail, right there

Aug 02, 2013 8:47 | 0 replies