Two people were killed in Durban's Cato Crest area at the weekend, KwaZulu-Natal police confirmed.
Captain Thulane Zwane said Thembinkosi Qumbelo, 45, was shot at 8.30pm on Friday, and that a 23-year-old man was found shot dead on Saturday night.
He would not say what the motives for the shootings were, but the Daily News reported on Monday that Qumbelo was the president of the Cato Crest Residential Association.
Last week, shack dwellers in the area invaded vacant land. According to the Daily News, Qumbelo had been trying to get the eThekwini Municipality to allocate council houses to shack dwellers whose homes had been demolished to make way for a housing development in Cato Crest.
He was at a local tavern watching a football match when he was reportedly shot in back by four men.
Zwane said two cases of murder were being investigated by the police. No arrests had been made.
Ethekwini mayor James Nxumalo has appealed for calm in the area and asked residents to help police in catching those responsible.
"We cannot afford to see the repeat of violence and bloodshed in this province after 18 years into democracy," he said in a statement.
Nxumalo said he estimated that the city had a backlog of 400,000 houses, which would take time to build.