Tue Nov 25 02:24:17 SAST 2014
Let's drool over the sizzling hot Top 12 in Mzansi

Set in the picturesque venue of the Munro Boutique hotel in Houghton, Johannesburg, the Mzansi’s Sex.

The dog that bit my child is racist - mom

By Patience Bambalele | Feb 25, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 253 ]

THE mother of a seven-year-old girl who was bitten on the knee by a bull terrier believes the "dog is racist".

Pam Nkosi of Honeydew, north of Johannesburg, says her daughter was playing with other children when the dog ran into their yard and bit her daughter.

"I feel that the dog is racist. The way it behaved. It shows that it was not familiar with other races."

Nkosi said the dog's owner, Sean Norman, had not come to see the child nor contributed to her medical bills.

"I contacted emergency services who attended to the child before taking her to a doctor. A nurse living in our complex suggested that we get the dog's vaccination record," she said.

"Since the owner was impossible, we had to get the police to intervene. We discovered that the dog's owner had defaulted on vaccinations and this puts my child at risk."

Nkosi also claimed that Norman had denied that his dog had bitten her daughter.

"He (Norman) said the child was bitten by another dog. He later said the child fell while walking near a hedge, but an emergency services report and doctor's letter confirmed the incident," Nkosi said.

Norman said he had not seen the child and was not prepared to comment further on the issue. A case has been opened at the Honeydew police station.

SPCA inspector Tarryn Smith did not want to comment on whether the dog was "racist" or not but said all domestic animals behave differently because of their upbringing.

Smith further explained that they had suggested to the owner that he move the dog because the wall surrounding the property was low.

"He took it to his father's place. If your dog attacks someone out of the yard you are guilty under the new Animal Matters Amendment Act," Smith said.

Warrant Officer Karen Jacobs of the Honeydew police confirmed that a case was being investigated.

"The investigating officer is currently obtaining statements after which the case docket will be handed in for a decision at the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court," Jacobs said.

Sbongiseni Mthembu, who lives in the same complex, confirmed that the child had indeed been bitten by the dog. - bambalelep@sowetan.co.za

Dzel

Look to an extent I can agree. It could be that the owner has trained the dog in such a fashion to attack a certain personality type. It might be that she provoked the dog even but like you said not all factors are accounted for here. Maybe the dog is extremely territorial. I can't remember does the article mention if the owner was there?

Feb 25, 2013 1:15 | 0 replies

Just wait till they see my neo-liberal, imperialist canary.

It's a real hoot.

Feb 25, 2013 12:39 | 0 replies

@Skwama I ddint' know if there is something about Rosa Parks and I will naturally check that out as she is one of the woman whose solitary stance and non violent stance against oppression inspires me, ooh dude I will die if you end this friendship cause I am enjoying you so much:-)

btw do you know the latest on Italy vote?

Dude I was proud of your PM and his efforts in India at the moment, he at least takes responsibility and is acknowledging the wrongs of the past, now it takes a real man to do that. He has a new fan in me right me but am worried about the outcome votes for Italy cause they said Berlusconi's party is in the top 3, God knows we will all be molested if that man wins!! he was already verbally molesting a press woman publicly last week, her child watched the vid and cried!!!

Feb 25, 2013 12:39 | 0 replies

I seriously want to congratulate whites when it comes to upbringing of dogs and how they handle them, you won't see dog belonging to whites roaming around the streets, if see a dog on a street you should investigate first and you might be surprised that it belonged to a certain black person residing there, my heart goes to the injured, but it was probably an accident or the kids might have aggravated the pet, but dog being racist? nah, that's being implanted in our thoughts that dogs can be racial but Hei! you madam can decide to give you a dog for she is leaving town, you and your family will leave normally with it.

Feb 25, 2013 12:38 | 0 replies

oldlady12

LOL
Many moons back, I bought a Golly for my daughter (she loved Golly best of all and the one she had got lost somewhere). The guy actually asked me if I was getting it to train my dog. When I asked what he meant, he said that he had heard that people by Golly dolls and whack the dog with it so they will dislike black people.

Ironically, the dog ate Golly but, as she had also eaten the yellow bunny, I doubt it was the colour of it.

Feb 25, 2013 12:36 | 0 replies

skwamasamabele

Great virtual threats from an unknown person how fun. I am terrified. Really please continue. All names on a platform no real threat. Show them all you want. I really can not care less...

Feb 25, 2013 12:36 | 0 replies

Danielrjvvuren
skwamasamabele

No one truly chooses to be some argues you are born gay I really had enough of girl complications. Men are just easier beings, in my view before that sparks another debate, to be around.
---------------------------------------------
Daniel!!!!!!!!!! Stop, Broer!!!!!!! If I show your article to my gay friends over here, they would slaughter you. How deep do you want your grave?? You know Somarr, MommaC, and Oldlady are going to murder you. You not helping your cause
==============================

Somaar- Have or are you going to check that bbc article about Rosa Parks?? you need to celebrate this freedom fighter, otherwise our friendship is finished (LOVL)

Feb 25, 2013 12:34 | 0 replies

Dzel

My dog has never bitten anyone. God can we get off my dog now. The poor thing is probably eating a bone or some sh!t now.

Feb 25, 2013 12:33 | 0 replies

oldlady12

BTW, a question to the "racist dog" supporters. No black child ever gets bitten in a black township by a dog roaming the streets or running out of its yard?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Of course they do but that is not the point.

Here we are talking about dogs that have been trained to profile people based on race. It is a fact that this happens, is it not?

Feb 25, 2013 12:31 | 0 replies

oldlady let's not excuses or try making the mother look stupid. Fact, you don't have to tease a dog to have it attack you. Yes kids can contribute but I'd like to think kids of all races would do that, not just the black ones. Experience walking on foot in the suburbs is dogs are inclined to bark at you as you walk by, can't say for certain if race is a factor but I have had my share of dogs barking at me without provocation (perhaps it is because I am skinny).

What I can tell you though is whenever I walk the street I live in I see a lot of yards where the dogs are not properly restrained especially when the gates open for cars and other traffic. I have always taken issue when this happens whilst I am on foot and you'd swear I am overreacting given the owner's response, it is almost as if they don't appreciate the fact that dogs bite by design and some bite harder than others. Attitudes like Daniels show exactly what people on foot have to deal with.

His absolutely disgusting and so it the attitude of the owner in this case, they should punish people like him with a jail term of no less than one year.

Feb 25, 2013 12:28 | 0 replies

oldlady12

And manage is sexist? Hahah pot calling the kettle sexist I guess.

Feb 25, 2013 12:28 | 0 replies