Fri Oct 31 12:38:46 SAST 2014
Switch off appliances to avoid power cuts tonight

Power utility Eskom on Wednesday called on consumers to switch off geysers, pool pumps and all non-e.

Reeva's mom breaks her silence

By Graeme Hosken | Feb 18, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 223 ]

"WHY? Why my little girl? Why did this happen? Why did he do this? What for?"

This is the anguish of June Steenkamp, who is grappling with the pain of losing her daughter, 29-year-old model and lawyer Reeva.

In an emotional telephone interview from her Seaview, Port Elizabeth, home yesterday, Steenkamp spoke for the first time about her daughter's killing.

Reeva was allegedly shot dead by her boyfriend, athletics superstar Oscar Pistorius, on Valentine's Day, at his R4-million home at Silver Woods Country Estate in Pretoria. Pistorius, 26, has been in police custody since the killing. Speaking about the love her daughter had for South Africa and its citizens, Steenkamp said: "She loved like no one else could love.

"She had so much of herself to give and now all of it is gone. Just like that, she is gone ... in the blink of an eye and a single breath, the most beautiful person who ever lived is no longer here."

The state intends to charge Pistorius - who has not yet been asked to plead in court - with premeditated murder.

Pistorius's father, Henke, said the family was aware of the reality that they and their son were facing.

Lashing out at the way South Africans were "destroying" a "national icon", Pistorius, said: "There is something fundamentally wrong with our society. We build people up into heroes, who overcome immense challenges, only to take great glee in breaking them down ..."

@somaartakeit
I loved my dog mr...and this Reeva issue is starting to work on my nerves !!! i didn't even know her before till she was k1lled and now i'm reading about her death every flipping day and it just keep reminding me of my dog (Shila)....***Crying***

Feb 18, 2013 12:6 | 0 replies

Mntwana7
Why is Reeva now being blamed for her death? If Oscar had had enough of her he should have taken off his legs, put on his blades and ran for dear life.

Amadoda ahlezi e-blame abantu besimame for their mistakes and actions. E.g. I cheated because you didn't do 1 or 2, I abused you because you didn't do that.... Aaaaah seniqala ukubhora yazi shame... Nihlulwa yini ukumshiya umuntu and start afresh (kobe kuyinhlanhla engekho ozocasha ngeLobolo).
----------------------------------------------
Kodwa sisi kuba inkinga uma umuntu esethe ufuna ukuphuma ngoba akajabulile....lapho uzokhala ubike imbiba ne buzi , abesifazane bayazithethelela bancenge kuze kufike into embi njengalena,ngake ngaba nenkinga ngifuna ukuphuma kahle nje kungaxatshenwe , kodwa ke usisi ancenge, akhale nami ngize ngibone kungcono ngihlale noma ngingathandi

Feb 18, 2013 11:45 | 0 replies

@Makhi

Since last week, Reading about this people and just yesterday my dog "Shila" past away - I'm so hurt right now !!!

Feb 18, 2013 11:44 | 0 replies

@Mntwana7 people who blame are usually people who have no ability to be responsible ie to change whatever it is they are blaming others for, unfortunately in SA and by extension Africa men (generally) are not taught/brought up to be responsible instead are brought up to be macho hence more often than not their response to what they don't agree with is violence. Also lack of social skills contributes to this, that's why I often say to the girls, take time to know him, don't get impressed and directly take your blumas off when he says I have a big willy, find out what else he offers ito social skills cause big willy is hardly gonna keep a relationship together nor sustain it. Girls must not settle cause this settle for mr big willy and big tenderpreneuring wallet is what puts us in the fix most times, look at Kenny Kunene for instance, I was shocked to read that he has wife cause nje that guy is never a husband material.

Feb 18, 2013 11:38 | 0 replies

Feb 18, 2013 11:32 | 0 replies

9janavy
MommaC - I concur with you , maybe i got too emotional. I have been boiling since yesterday when I read some comments on News.24 which were beyond shocking for me especially coming from a white woman.*sighs* I just want these abuse to stop ,I mean how can this be happening so often in SA. What is causing it and why are people in some instance so numb to it? Just this morning I learnt that an actor assaulted his and has been arrested. When will it stop? At this rate SA women will become an endangered specie and that is not funny at all
-----------------------------------------------------
Boikie you seem to hv a lot of hatred for a country that has housed you and looking after you , i refuse to be upset by your ill informed dum comments, yes you will tel me about spell check cause u smart(lol), so all i want you to do is give us news from Niaja and tell us if it was soo rosey there, why would you be an economic migrant in SA, I think i am getting sick of ur comments and your likes.

Feb 18, 2013 11:30 | 0 replies

To help guys prevent landing in these type of situations, answer this simple question:
Is is possible that this might lead me to a place where I will have to fight off the armorous advances of the leader the 28s or 26s? If the answer is yes, you know what to do.

Feb 18, 2013 11:29 | 0 replies

Also why did the then youth league leader (Malema) visited him in prison and not families of the bereaved? and why didn't ancwl call for judges to not give bail? or is it because the multiple murderer is black and ancwl and anc as an organisation approve of his vile actions? Don't you dare make this a black vs white issue, and in any case Oscar (is alleged to have) murdered a white woman (his girlfriend) if this (judging by your argument) has to be a black vs white issue, and if we have to judge behaviour of ancwl and anc in general inasfar as abuse/domestic violence goes they hardly ever complain if a victim is a black woman or a child, as we speak Khwezi is still in exile in a whiteman's country running away from the rapeful dicks of Africa.

Feb 18, 2013 11:29 | 0 replies

@sdakwa in case you have not enough brain cells to fully comprehend that, human (women) instincts are such that, if a child's life is endangered, even if they have never heard/know that child, they will burst their gutts against whoever is threatening safety and security of that child, that is why terrorists often taken children as hostages in the country infiltrated by the terrorists,now back to the matter at hand, compare profiles of both suspects and convict, Oscar has not shown criminal tendencies in his profile instead he was a world sports icon, on the other hand Jub is a notorious drug drunk who often used his girlfriend (according to her) as punch bag, do you realise how gatvol the nation must have been with him when he in his drunken drug induced stupor used his vehicle to kill school kids? Please compare apples with apples, Oscar is in a fit of rage induced by jealousy ambushed Reeva who in all probabilities had ample opportunity to leave potentially violent Oscar when police were called to that house first time but she didn't. Rightly so Oscar is ARRESTED and his CHARGED now we await court process, is that too difficult for you to comprehend this?

Feb 18, 2013 11:24 | 0 replies

@ sdakwa

The difference is Jub-Jub didn't show any remorse for what he did.. He was very arrogant.. He even had the audacity to challenge hard evidance left at the crime-scene too..

Jub-Jub is a failure.. He doesn't deserve an Oscar!!

Feb 18, 2013 11:22 | 0 replies

@makhi,

Hayi the comments you make about this? makes me wonder is this real my makhi i know!

Feb 18, 2013 11:22 | 0 replies