Sat Oct 25 21:42:04 SAST 2014
'Big Brother' snoozers should be losers

JUST how do Mozambican Trezagah, Zambian Macky2, Malawian Mr 265 and Zimbabwean Butterphly survive i.

Boy's foot does not stop growing

By Sibongile Mashaba Mpumalanga Correspondent | Feb 05, 2013 | COMMENTS [ 19 ]

THE mother of an 8 year old boy whose foot does not stop growing foresees a bleak future for her son.

Twoboy Shabangu, of Mangweni Trust near Tonga in Mpumalanga, has a foot swollen to nearly twice its size, with growths that keep expanding. The boy cannot walk properly and doctors at three hospitals could not help him.

His mother, Phindile Shabangu, 37, told Sowetan she had done all she could but was not getting help.

"My son developed a blister on his foot about five years ago. It grew to something like a boil but now it is worse. His foot won't stop growing," she said.

"I went to Tonga Hospital and they referred me to Shongwe Hospital. When I got there, they said I should go to Themba Hospital. I have also been referred to a hospital in Pretoria.

"I am unemployed and do not have money to travel. My son is suffering.

"They do not even give us pills at the hospitals. The last time I went to Tonga Hospital, in November, I was told he needs to go for an operation. But when they discovered I did not have an identity document they said they could not help us," a disheartened Shabangu said.

She said her mother, Christina Mkhabela, died in 1992 and she had no proof of her mother's identity, which is a hurdle for her to get an ID.

Shabangu has three children - Bongi, 19, Lucy, 15, and Twoboy. None of the children have birth certificates.

Mpumalanga department of health and social development spokesman Ronnie Masilela said they would attend to the family urgently.

He said social workers would be dispatched to investigate the case as soon as possible. - mashabas@sowetan.co.za

COMMENT BELOW: If you knew someone with similar situations, please share as to how they overcame it, or if you have information on how or where this family can seek help, please share your information

Kusho ukuthi lomfo iinyawo zakhe zinenkinga yamanzi,kukhona lamanzi a green lana kuyena.Ngathi angaya kwa Dabulamanzi khona azolunga,inkinga ukuthi uma eya esbhedlela bazomjuba lezinyawo zakhe.May God help him,I will continue praying for him.

Feb 05, 2013 7:24 | 0 replies

MMMMMMM really said indeed yaa other things they can scare u life time strait , thank God for keep me the way i am thank again

Feb 05, 2013 3:45 | 0 replies

@SHUMILENZIZWA

NGENA KU MALEMA AMEN

Feb 05, 2013 3:44 | 0 replies

Egameni likaYise eLendodana eLikamoya ongcwele neMpelelo kaNkulunkulu ngithi kufa suka kulomfana, hamba kude ngegama lika Jesu Christu waseNazaretha Amen.

Feb 05, 2013 3:34 | 0 replies

Sowetan are afraid of facing the truth, I was just asking about the Nelson Mandela children's fund on how does it assist in cases like this one. they don't show my comment. blocking my question or not what is the NMCf doing for most children are reported to be having so many horrible diseases without assistance. I am afraid some people are on top of certain mischief towards the fund

Feb 05, 2013 3:33 | 0 replies

-------------------------------------------------------------------
What a vicious cycle .............

Feb 05, 2013 2:25 | 0 replies

Maybe they should try MSF (doctors without borders) for the kid as this is quite common further north in Africa. That is why I'm always so alarmed at the lack of shoes in SA

Feb 05, 2013 1:34 | 0 replies

such stories remind that i shouldnt complain about the body i have ..it aint perfect but its still good enough for me

Feb 05, 2013 12:59 | 0 replies

"I am unemployed and do not have money to travel. My son is suffering.

**************************************************************************************

i hate this line.......

Feb 05, 2013 12:30 | 0 replies

They need to cut the foot while is still early coz that will neva stop growing..

Feb 05, 2013 11:45 | 0 replies

@Punkies
No i'm not,ngisebenzisa amanzi.

Feb 05, 2013 11:29 | 0 replies