Sat Aug 30 02:17:35 SAST 2014

Mother's wedding bells turn to grief

By Pertunia Ratsatsi | Dec 20, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 22 ]

INSTEAD of arranging a wedding, a family in Hammanskraal found themselves arranging a funeral.

Karabo Chuma, 12, was walking home with her mother Mapula Chuma and Mapula's sister Joyce Mthombeni at about 8pm on Friday when Karabo was run over by a car, allegedly driven by a drunk driver.

Mapula Chuma was supposed to get married the following day and the family was preparing to welcome the in-laws the next morning.

"When the in-laws arrived no one said a word about the wedding. The families discussed the funeral instead of my lobola," Chuma said.

She said they were walking home on a gravel road when the accident happened.

"My daughter was behind me and my cousin was the last one. We were walking in a line because only pedestrians use that road," she said.

"I suddenly felt a cold breeze passing next to me from the front. When I looked back, I saw people flying then falling down.

"They were hit by a blue bakkie that sped off. I then ran after the car waving my hands, hoping that the driver would stop."

Mapula said she went to check on the people who were hit and they were not moving.

Mthombeni said she did not see anything.

"I was walking behind Karabo and we were laughing so hard. I did not even see the car lights nor hear the car sound. I woke up in hospital."

Chuma said the police did not ask her anything.

"They did not even take my address or my telephone number. I waited for them all weekend and they did not come."

Chuma said she learnt from a friend on Monday that the driver was released on bail.

"He killed my child at about 8pm and he was a free man by midnight," she said.

"My child died and he will get away with it because the police are not doing their job."

Police spokeswoman Lieutenant Sarah Lesabane said the fact that the police and paramedics were at the accident scene meant the family received attention.

"There is no way that the police could neglect such a serious case.

"The man was arrested and he was taken to hospital to have his blood tested because he was driving under the influence," she said.

"He was in custody and he was taken to court from the cells. I cannot confirm if he is out on bail because I am not in possession of the docket."

Lesabane said the driver was charged with culpable homicide and drunken driving, and that investigations were continuing.

Sad news indeed,corrupt police.Hope the man rot in jail or community must take law into their hands.

Dec 20, 2012 7:14 | 0 replies

PERTUNIA RATSATSI,

Did this get completely mangled during editing or did you just write a very poor article?

Dec 20, 2012 8:43 | 0 replies

That hamanskral road is a mess you cannot see the middle line, i cannot blame the popoo they aressted the man and took blood test and release him on bail until they get the result whats the problem

Dec 20, 2012 8:47 | 0 replies

Lawlessness in our roads requires government to strengthen surveillances in order to ensure safety in our roads. The estimated fatalities since the festive season began amount to nearly 700 lives. In these lost lives, we have tax payers, parents, future leaders and so forth. The biggest cause of ever soaring fatalities is corruption, especially in a process of acquiring a driver’s licence. Our people are still subject to bribing the police before are pronounced legally fit to drive in our national roads. The shortcoming of this model is that this removes the incentive for adequate driving lessons. In part because of economics of driving and on other hand because people believe driving test can only be passed if you have given a bribe. In other words your capability cannot secure a drivers licence rather a bribe guarantee you a drivers licence. Furthermore, if a drive is found exceeding the speed limit a bribe guarantees immunity from the law enforcement. Clearly, there are faulty lines in the law enforcing agency, which need to be corrected by admittedly improving salaries for the police and also imposing harsh penalties to the police found accepting bribes. But as citizens we have the responsibility to care for other citizens. The golden rule says do unto others what you would like to be done unto you.
Another killer is drink and driving. At this time of the year with windfall of cash people over indulge in alcoholic beverages. All citizens should remain responsible and don’t drink and drive. If a friend over indulge in alcohol at your home, you must insist that he/she rest and even drink coffee because it dampens alcohol content in the blood. Overall, over drinking is detrimental to your health and moderate drinking if necessary should be considered.

Dec 20, 2012 9:33 | 0 replies

this story is so complicated, the driver sped off,the driver was arrested, the driver,the lobola,the wedding......... oh sowetan!
anywayz may little Karabo's soul rest in peace

Dec 20, 2012 9:41 | 0 replies

sekhebereshe
@lindsay

.................................................................................................
OK i am confused here...OK lets discuss her wedding?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sEKHEBERESHE, WHAT A NAME?HOWZIT SKHEBI

Dec 20, 2012 10:24 | 0 replies

@Maditaba

i understand that shock and heartache can make you say confusing things especially if the shocking incident is still fresh hence i said maybe its shock speaking because there is no way her wedding is important than her daughter

Dec 20, 2012 10:28 | 0 replies

This story has loop holes,walking at 8pm,on the gravel road,didnt hear anything..come on sowetan..

Dec 20, 2012 10:33 | 0 replies

Exposure to poverty can do you absolute injustice. If she was a middle class woman preparing for her wedding the following day there would have been cars all around to help her prepare for her happiest moment. I bet all the expensive cars were in Mangaung. What a sad turn of events, askies mama.

Dec 20, 2012 10:33 | 0 replies

u took somebody's man,vho ni lowa

Dec 20, 2012 10:43 | 0 replies

@sekhebereshe&lindsay. Remember this grieving mother was emotional and probably narrated the story in Setswana. An experienced journalist will take their notes and put the story in a proper written format and not just regugitate what the journalist said.

Dec 20, 2012 8:43 | 0 replies