Wed Sep 17 17:32:16 SAST 2014
5 things you should know about this week

It's very difficult to keep track of news amongst hundreds of headlines a day. So we will pick out t.

Children suffocate in car

By Sapa | Nov 19, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 30 ]

Two cousins, aged 2 and 3 years, suffocated in an old unused car

Thde incident happened in Zeerust, North West police said on Monday.

Spokeswoman Colonel Emelda Setlhako said the girls were left in the care of their grandmother on Saturday morning when their parents went to work.

“The children were playing inside the car when they fell asleep. All the doors and the windows were closed and it was extremely hot that day,” she said.

Setlhako said the mother of one of the girls arrived home and asked where the children were. The grandmother said she last saw them playing in the yard, she added.

“The mother eventually found them motionless in the car... Their skin was badly damaged due to sunburn. We suspect that they died due to extreme heat and lack of fresh air.”

Setlhako said emergency services declared the girls dead on the scene.

An inquest docket has been opened.

Yoh! i dont know what i would do...tjerrrr, the thought of even losing one of my kids drives me insane.

Nov 19, 2012 8:32 | 0 replies

I almost lost my son 2009 in that way and I was washing the car in a hot summer day without realising he sneaked and entered the car~window tinting! I saw him sweating like mad, just on time to save him! sad indeed, death has no shame or pride, such young precious things wow!

Nov 19, 2012 11:12 | 0 replies

the grandmother is very irresponsible, 2 and 3 yrs old are very young kids. you can't leave them playing for so long alone.

Nov 19, 2012 11:21 | 0 replies

Aw kodwa Nkosi yami, kwaze kwabuhlungu... I'm sure there are a lot of "what ifs" from the granny and parents. Ai this is sad indeed. INkosi ibe nani kulesisikhathi sefu elimnyama.

Nov 19, 2012 11:25 | 0 replies

this is so sad and it can happen to any family shame mara m may their innocent soul rest in peace, this is so heart breaking

Nov 19, 2012 11:31 | 0 replies

@CHOCHSTICK
u right how can the grandmother stay for so long without knowing where the two little kids are, its irresponsible, i always tell my wife not to spend more than 30min without knowing where my kid is
its very sad

Nov 19, 2012 11:40 | 0 replies

Indeed sad RIP little ones

Nov 19, 2012 11:43 | 0 replies

This is not about the car people, this is about adults not taking the initiative to constantly check up on kids even if they are playing in the yard.
my kids are slightly older and I contantly check on them especially when they are too quiet for my liking.

Nov 19, 2012 12:11 | 0 replies

Same thing for disused fridges/freezers - have heard horror stories of children getting stuck inside and suffocating. My heartfelt sympathies to the families of the little girls. Rest in peace angels

Nov 19, 2012 12:26 | 0 replies

sad indeed

Nov 19, 2012 12:35 | 0 replies

Ha ha Papage Orlando East nne!! but its true to many of them there I cam from there even in my house we have one that kids play inside and they get locked in that old car sometimes, there owner stays some where else and he dumped that old thing in my house.

Ant way may the soul of this little angels rest in peace in the bosom of our lord jesus christ.

Nov 19, 2012 12:50 | 0 replies