Thu Sep 18 11:41:30 SAST 2014
5 things you should know about this week

It's very difficult to keep track of news amongst hundreds of headlines a day. So we will pick out t.

Municipality's electrical unit head electrocuted

By Frank Maponya Limpopo Bureau Chief | Nov 14, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 26 ]

A DARK cloud has fallen over the BaPhalaborwa municipality in Limpopo following the death of a senior official.

Freddy Nkanyane, the municipality's assistant director in the electrical unit, died from second degree burns he sustained when he was electrocuted on Sunday.

Nkanyane was in the company of a colleague, Takalani Mutsila, when they were subjected to an electric shock.

They had allegedly entered an electrical sub-station without taking protective measures. This resulted in an explosion that burnt them.

Mutsila is still fighting for his life in the intensive care unit of Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg.

According to preliminary investigations the two had gone to switch on power after the mining town had gone for three days without power.

According to the municipality the two were supposed to use a remote control to switch the power on. But when they discovered its batteries had gone flat they decided to do it manually, which resulted in the explosion.

Mayor Anna Sono, was still too traumatised to comment yesterday. She could only say: "I'm still shocked about the death of an official at the municipality."

The she hanged up. Municipal spokesman Elliot Ramachela's phone rang unanswered. He also failed to respond to messages left on his phone.

Phalaborwa community leader Edmund Mbetse said yesterday they would call for the resignation of the mayor and manager Stimela Sebashe.

"The two have failed to provide services to the people. Each time there was a power failure, they would fix the problem without replacing the whole system. And now this," he said.

COMMENTS [ 26 ]

Login OR Join up TO COMMENT

Eish! mathata.
You know sometimes I used see most people who claim to know much about their duties making mistakes by not following a right procedure.
Taxi drivers sometimes say people know how we are driving and violate laws which causes accidents at the end

Nov 14, 2012 7:31 | 0 replies

Malome Freddy orobale kakgotso

Nov 14, 2012 9:41 | 0 replies

Why manual restoration of power can be so fatal? Please explain.

Nov 14, 2012 10:15 | 0 replies

maybe they been doing it like that for a long time now they think they are the skhokhos of igezi! #pure ignorance

Nov 14, 2012 10:35 | 0 replies

Very bad, I wonder how much pain he had before dying. I was once shocked by electricity and IT IS SCARY PAINFUL!!!

Short cuts are very risky.

Nov 14, 2012 11:10 | 0 replies

Slim vang sy baas.

Nov 14, 2012 11:28 | 0 replies

Stupid skaap word braaivleis.

Nov 14, 2012 11:33 | 0 replies

Wait a second, somebody's brother, father, child has passed on and the Mayor has the audacity to hang up the phone instate of explaining that she has no further details and the spin doctor, cause the aint no lies he can furnish us, decide not to answer the phone, i smell the rat, wait a minute i am telling you

Nov 14, 2012 2:44 | 0 replies

They had allegedly entered an electrical sub-station without taking protective measures. This resulted in an explosion that burnt them.
********************************************************************************
I wonder how he was appointed to be a municipal head (nogal for an electrical unit) if he does not know the ABC of electricity..............

Wish this could happen in a bunker at .......ville whilst the owner is seeking refuge (from his imaginary war)


Nov 14, 2012 2:59 | 0 replies

Were they political deployments or what? Sowetan must investigate. If so, then I'm not surprised....

Nov 14, 2012 3:57 | 0 replies

pathetic fools
Somebody lost his life and you puting stupit commets nogal.....ag you guys neh..its an accident ok dont insult the dead plz...idiots...did you guys graduate like some of us...
Common sense

Nov 14, 2012 4:28 | 0 replies