Family upset that 'body parts hunters' get bail
THE family of a man whose body was dug up from his grave were disappointed and discouraged that the alleged sangoma and his alleged accomplice have been granted bail.
Koketso Jabane, 54, and Rapelang Modise, 39, were granted R1000 bail each in the Mmabatho Magistrate's Court yesterday.
The two were arrested on Friday when police patrolling Moletsamongwe Cemetery in Modimola village near Mahikeng spotted them. They were found in possession of some remains of Sipho Lolwane, an albino, who died in 2002.
Moans and groans could be heard in court when magistrate Seth Mmushi granted the two accused bail.
Sipho's younger brother, Willie Lolwane, said he had lost confidence in the law.
"They are out on bail, what if they go to the grave again," he said.
He said his mother was feeling sick yesterday morning because of the incident.
"I don't know what am I going to tell her. How is she going to feel if I tell her that the people who dug up her son's grave are out on bail?"
Mmapula Senatla, a neighbour of the Lolwanes, also said she was disappointed with the court.
The Lolwane family said it was not the first time that Sipho's grave had been violated. The grave was tampered with in June 2011, but no one was arrested.
Police spokeswoman Captain Amanda Funani said the police are still trying to link the two cases.
The two accused were charged with desecration of a grave. They are expected to appear in court again on December 7. - firstname.lastname@example.org