Truckers issued order to halt violence
The Labour Court issued another court interdict aimed at preventing further violence in the truck drivers’ strike, the Road Freight Employers Association said on Friday.
“We approached the court before in an attempt to address the violence that has tainted the strike to date. The order makes it tougher on the unions to continue with irregular strike action,” said spokeswoman Magretia Brown-Engelbrecht.
The interdict addressed the violence only, she said.
The RFEA secured an order last week to stop the violence that has seen delivery trucks being attacked and torched during the two week-long strike.
South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu) spokesman Vincent Masoga said the employers’ attempt to halt the strike had failed.
“The court re-affirmed the first order with a couple of instructions to unions and members to ensure that there is no violence.”
He said the court instructed unions to form a committee and appoint marshals who would ensure that the strike was peaceful.
Talks meant to end the strike collapsed on Thursday evening.
Drivers want a 12% salary increase for each year while employers offered 8.5% for next year, and another 0.5 percent the following year The unions involved are Satawu, the Professional Transport and Allied Workers’ Union SA, and the Motor Transport Workers’ Union.