Woman feels let down after charges dropped
A SOWETO woman feels let down by the justice system after a man who allegedly tried to rape her was released and charges against him dropped.
Constance Mamphaga, 44, of Zone 4 in Diepkloof, said she was on her way home from work in the early hours of July 17 2009 when the man approached her.
She said she knew him from "hanging out on the street".
"He told me he would give me R100 if I agreed to have sex with him. He even said he had a condom. But I refused," she said.
He became aggressive and tried to rape her twice. Her screams for help attracted neighbours, who chased the man away.
"I went to the police station to open a case against him. His family offered me R10000 to drop the charges, but I refused."
Two weeks ago someone from the area alerted Mamphaga to the fact that they had spotted the man.
"I called the police and he was arrested. Later I was surprised when I called the police station and was told charges against the man had been dropped."
Gauteng police spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini confirmed the case had been dropped.
"The case was investigated and referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions. Due to evidence presented, the prosecutor declined to prosecute.
"After the victim complained the matter was reviewed and the victim and investigating officer were interviewed. No negligence was found on the part of the investigating officer and the matter is seen as finalised."