Accused 'killed' daughter when he raped her
THE prosecution has asked the magistrate to sentence a father convicted of raping his daughter and fathering three children with her to nine life terms.
Prosecutor Elise du Plessis, who described 55-year-old man as manipulative, told the Nelspruit Magistrate's Court yesterday that the accused "killed" his youngest daughter the first time he raped her.
"He does not deserve mercy. He knew what he was doing. He did not show any mercy towards her when he forced her to stay with him.
"She was only 13 years old.
"Children are a blessing . We are not supposed to abuse them.
"It is clear in the docket that he (accused) manipulated the victim."
The man of KaNyamazane, Mpumalanga, was found guilty of raping his youngest daughter from 1998 until February 2006 when he was arrested
During the past four years, sentencing had repeatedly been postponed because he claimed he was ill. He had, on several occasions, started hunger strikes shortly before his court appearances, and then claimed to be too ill to appear.
Sentencing had already been postponed 81 times.
Yesterday, he was expected to either hand in a written statement or testify himself, but his lawyer Advocate Sibusiso Chambale told the court that his client wanted to testify, but was not feeling well and asked that the matter be postponed for a week.
Magistrate Andre Geldenhuys refused to grant a postponement.
For the entire 23 minutes when court was in session, the man lay on the floor, coughing and clearing his throat.
Chambale said the man had 12 children and was in a customary marriage to the victim's mother.
The man was arrested for the crime in February 2006. He has been found guilty of nine counts of rape and nine counts of incest.
Geldenhuys said he needed to refresh his memory on the merits of the case which has been heard since 2007. He postponed the case to September 18 for sentencing.