Relatives claim 33 dead miners
ONLY one of the 34 Lonmin miners killed in a confrontation with police was left unclaimed by relatives, the inter-ministerial committee appointed to investigate the tragedy said in a statement.
It said all the miners had been identified. One was from Lesotho and attempts are being made to contact his family.
On Monday, survivors of what is now known as the "Marikana massacre" went to the hill where they had gathered before the shootings to search for their comrades, who they believe could have fallen between the rocks after being shot.
The search was hindered by sharp rocks . They were adamant there were still corpses lying in the shallow caves .
However, police spokesman Captain Dennis Adriao has since dismissed this belief.
Lonmin management, which had earlier threatened to expel workers who still refused to report for duty, relaxed their ultimatum yesterday.
This came amid workers' resolve not to return to work until their salaries were increased from R4000 to R12500 a month.
The DA yesterday claimed that different salaries allocated to workers according to the union they were affiliated to was the source of the conflict.
NUM spokesman Lesiba Seshoka dismissed claims that there were workers who still earned R4000. "Their gross is between R10000 and R12000, and their take-home differs, based on deductions."
Lonmin executive vice-president Mark Munroe told Talk Radio 702 that rock drillers were paid a gross of R10000 plus a bonus, dependant on production. He said each worker pocketed about R1500 in bonuses on average each month.