Shabangu accused of threatening businessman
A former business partner of property tycoon Roux Shabangu has obtained an order in the High Court in Pretoria preventing Shabangu from threatening, assaulting or contacting him
Japie van Niekerk’s urgent application was heard on Tuesday, The Star reported. Shabangu did not defend it.
According to the newspaper, Van Niekerk apparently received a SMS from Shabangu a week ago in which Shabangu 'declared war' on him.
Van Niekerk reportedly claimed that his life and those of his family had been threatened by Shabangu, who is at the centre of the muli-million rand police lease scandal.
At a media briefing in Irene, Shabangu said the SMS had been sent “in a moment of anger”.
“It was a very heated moment and I was pushed to the verge,” he told reporters.
He said spelling errors in his message bore testimony to how angry he had been at the time.
He said Van Niekerk and his family had nothing to fear from him.