Tue Oct 25 00:10:05 SAST 2016
Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Des Van Rooyen. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Van Rooyen suddenly withdraws his interdict

In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.

Refugees stage protest

By Sapa | Jun 13, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 49 ]

About 1,000 refugees protested at the Tshwane interim refugee reception office in Pretoria this morning, Gauteng police said.

Captain Louise Reed said the refugees were unhappy with the way they were being treated at the offices and began to get "rowdy".

"They burnt a few tyres, but that was it. Some of them are still hanging around and seem to be negotiating with the head people [at the office]," she said.

"A helicopter flew overhead [and] did a rough estimate of the protesters. We can say that there were about 1,000 people there, but it's all over now and to my knowledge no one was injured."

Legal organisation Lawyers for Human Rights said the protest started just after 6am when officials at the office allegedly refused to serve the refugees.

"The protest appears to be motivated by the poor access to the facility and the inability of asylum seekers and refugees to be able to get the services which are supposed to be provided by that office," it said.

"They will need to return next week if their permits are not renewed today, which will place many of them in a serious situation, where they will be vulnerable to arrest and detention if their permits lapse."

Eyewitnesses at the scene said that there were nearly 3,000 people protesting.

This Somaartakeit person makes me wanna puke. Just because some foreigner Somaartook her thing,she thinks they must somaartake our country too.
People think that they can put our country up for sale in their bedrooms just because they and their families are fed and laid by foreigners.
Suddenly they over- understand issues of human rights and refugee care more than countries like the U.S. BRITAIN e.t.c who introduced it to the world. The two mentioned countries and many others do not harbour the highest number of refugees in the world. Do the Somaartakeits of this world ever pause to ask themselves why we do? Are we supposed to pretend like its not affecting the livelihoods of our own people when we have to share the streets with millions of unidentified refugees and fugitives from all over the world?

Jun 13, 2012 5:39 | 0 replies

@Gaddaffi if immigrants bribed their way into RDP houses, then the blame should be placed on the SAn gov housing officials as htey are the ones who sold SA short, no?

Of course everywhere in the world ppl have to share resources, in SA we can chose to do this like a well reasoned civilised ppl, or we wld do what you and Sabza suggest ie Hitlerise immigrants and the world can judge us on that as they did with Germany, btw you do know that this negative talk about African migrants puts SA on a weaker position within the AU? Is that what you guys want that we are an economic power considered to be ignorant and mentally decolonised, cause its a direct impact of colonised mind that an African is persecuted by other Africans in an African country, you guys make me feel ashamed, yhazi.

Jun 13, 2012 4:22 | 0 replies

You must be living in a dreamland. I am sure you are one of those people who lives and use your house or shack as an office. Go in JHB CBD or Sunnyside and lets see if you will be praising your African brothers as you do.Some of us have seen it all to be careful with them.

Jun 13, 2012 4:22 | 0 replies

we have to share the scarce resources, hence they are to blame.
do you know that 60% of the RDP homes are occupied by foreigners...becoz they can offored to bribe stupid SAcns.

Jun 13, 2012 4:18 | 0 replies

@Sabza you sound like a nazi, you keep saying you work for this and that, do you imagine immigrants dont' work for what they have? please man.

As for mboro of course the guy is a criminals of note who is fingering vaginas of his victims in the pretext that he is curing them of some illness, that is called sexual assault in legal terminology I suppose you are not worried cause this criminally incline creature is a SAn? And I suppose the money he siphons from his unsuspecting victims you wld claim he worked for it, honestly, you are ignorant yhazi.

WRT your defense on fitting in Orania, you have same views of the ppl in Orania which as a black person should make you feel ashamed, you are the Hitler version of SA.

Now that you say you can't breath, how about you do me and the immigrants a favour and stop breathing altogether cause you are waste valuable resource (oxygen)

Jun 13, 2012 4:17 | 0 replies

@Gaddaffi the problems you mention in feeding kids in Braamfisher and Diepsloot can hardly be blamed on immigrants/refugees where are the parents of these kids?

IF they are being abused in LIndelani, then they have a case worth protesting about as we are a presumed to be a democratic country which upholds basic human rights I dont' see why its a problem if these ppl protest for their right to be upheld.

I've experienced all kinds of criminals, its a way of life not immigration issue, nje wena yiba fair to these guys as dictated to all of us by principles of ubuntu.

Jun 13, 2012 4:12 | 0 replies

You are loosing direction Mr.Faceless. A foreigner is a foreigner no matter how much can it claim to have.As me not owning South Africa, of course Mr.Faceless, I don't own South Africa, I am one of the ants who are helping o build this country, not destroying it.I work for my money,I pay Tax, I vote, I am South African.I was born in South Africa, didn't arrive in South Africa years like you Mr.Faceless.

As for Mbhoro, is he a rapist? Serious? Wow, you seem to know him better.I will leave you with that informed mindset. Mr.Faceless, I am b.l.a.c.k and I don't think that i can fit in Orania because of its past and current history. As for comparing us with Nazi,you must be having a bad day Mr.Faceless. Have a nice day, go safe and take care Mr.Faceless. Its nice to be a South African, and now these bloody African immigrants are irritating, I can't breath. Take at least 4 with you Mr.Faceless.

Jun 13, 2012 4:11 | 0 replies

you have a soft heart for this foreigners, you must be married to one.

we have enough problems trying to feed kids in Braamfisher, Dieposloot, etc. and laso to worry about these people in Lindelani.

one day...you will experience their merciless crime, and i know you'll sing a different tune.

peace out!

Jun 13, 2012 4:8 | 0 replies

No, because I m not arrogant and dont sell drugs,And i respect the law here.

Jun 13, 2012 4:5 | 0 replies

and needless to say these xenophobic attacks on African migrants put SA on a bad spot with its AU partners, but don't let me stall the process of SA's Hitlerisation of African migrants, just go right ahead and n3cklace them, please post vids on youtube so the world can see what you guys are made of.

Jun 13, 2012 4:2 | 0 replies

"Mr faceless" both of us are faceless so what's your problem?

" its not about insecurities that you glorify about.....We love our country to its bits.We love our country..." now you are going to need to keep watch on that love that it doesn't turn you into a nazi, liek you hitler blamed immigrants and as history shows that ended with 6mil dead Jews, but I have to say you guys aren't doing too bad, in the last xenophobic attacks you managed to murder how many? was it 100 or 200? "shakes head in disbelief*

"as for some of to move ''Orania'' as you suggest, you must be having diarrhea my friend. What do you mean when you say the following......" you espouse same values beliefs as the guys in Orania hence I thought you wld feel at home there amongst like minded folk.

"it is my business.They are in my country in their millions" LOVL stop it!! before you start believing your own BS, you don't own SA, you only own land/house/flat shack you reside in, FOOL!!!

"some are raping,killing our people" I guarantee you that most perps of these crimes are SAns, so where should we deport them to? start with your pastor Mboro.

"Some are robbing our financial institutions" blah blah Hitler stop it, you are outdoing yourself

"some are killing our Rhinos" I guarantee you that, they will need to have bribed a SAn in order to have access to the most protected national park in Africa such as the Kruger park where the Rhinos are being poached.

"some are just a nuisance to see them going up and down.Let them to your shack or mansion.We have got enough problems of own" As I've said you can always consider relocating to Orania if you don't like diversity and multiculralism.

Jun 13, 2012 3:53 | 0 replies