Behind the 'second transition'
THE contentious document on the second transition proposes that:
- The next 30 to 50 years should be dedicated to social and economic transformation of South Africa.
- Economic transformation should achieve rising per capita income, full employment, a Gini index target that demonstrates real and visible progress in reducing wealth and income inequalities, and visible progress in changing racial and patriarchal patterns of wealth and income.
- Social transformation must be people-centred by involving people in their own development through the public provision of a minimum package of publicly delivered transfers, goods and services.
- Providing a safety net for the most vulnerable, including providing basic rights to shelter, food security, health services, education, water and sanitation, and a social security network.
- Improving the quality of education, expanding access to early childhood education, literacy and lifelong learning opportunities.