Mabuza's u-turn on transport scam
PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma has signed a proclamation instructing the Special Investigating Unit to investigate the multi-million-rand scholar transport in Mpumalanga, premier David Mabuza has revealed
But Mabuza's statement contradicts the one he made in April last year when he said MEC for education Regina Mhaule was in the process of firing officials implicated in the scandal.
Mabuza was on Friday responding to DA leader Anthony Benadie, who asked for a report on the findings and recommendations by commissions of inquiry that were appointed to investigate scholar transport, disaster management centre and the archives buildings scandals.
The disaster management centre and the archives building tenders, which cost R280-million, were irregularly awarded to Mabuza's ex-wife Ruth Silinda by former head of public works department Priscilla Nkwinika.
Nkwinika was later fired by Mabuza and was not charged criminally as per recommendations by the integrity management unit.
On scholar transport, Mabuza said the scope and extent of the findings of the commission justified involvement of other state agencies and that Zuma had signed the proclamation instructing the SIU to investigate the issue.
The matter was first probed in 2008 by Ntuli Noble Inc Attorneys, who revealed mismanagement and weak internal control systems.
In 2010, Mabuza appointed the new commission, headed by private attorney Hettie Groenewald, which found that teachers and principals colluded with service providers to defraud the state.
The system came under the spotlight after its costs escalated from R8.2-million in 2001 to R176.9-million in 2006.