Sat Nov 01 08:03:29 SAST 2014
Switch off appliances to avoid power cuts tonight

Power utility Eskom on Wednesday called on consumers to switch off geysers, pool pumps and all non-e.

Criminals targeting N2 highway

By Cape Times, Sapa | Jun 08, 2012 | COMMENTS [ 13 ]

Western Cape police say criminals are targeting motorists on the N2 highway and it's getting out of hand

Pat Curran, a traffic officer responsible for the highway stretch from Cape Town to Plettenberg Bay, told the newspaper that criminals were sometimes obstructing the road to get drivers to stop.

“We’re on the lookout on a daily basis, but we don’t know where it will happen next. It becomes a nightmare,” he said.

On Sunday, motorist Trevor Rees was driving with his wife back home to Somerset West when he was forced to stop his car because the highway was littered with several large rocks and pieces of concrete.

“I swerved to avoid the largest piece but hit a smaller piece that caused the front right tyre to burst,” he said.

“I was then approached by two youths armed with screwdrivers who demanded my phone.

“I told them I was talking to the police when one of them attacked me, at which time I gave them the phone.”

Police confirmed a robbery case was being investigated.

Jun 08, 2012 11:23 | 0 replies

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crime has always been out of hand in this country - maybe the western cape police needs to be reminded about the blue light and criminals dressing up in police uniforms, then they will realize that their statement is misleading. In general, law enforcement in South Africa is a total failure. They spent huge sums of money towards entertainment events and luxury automotive products, when they should be investing in the country's cctv grid and eradicating cabriolets(toilets).

Jun 08, 2012 6:29 | 0 replies

Phunyukabemphethe: Understood. Cool.

Jun 08, 2012 2:32 | 0 replies

@Nicholaster Phunyukabemphethe

I don't believe that you two morrons are defending these scummbags for what they did. There are many unemployed ,graduated and low level scholars who are trying their best to find jobs than to rrob or attack people!!!!! Is it a crime to work or being rich in this country???

Let it happen to you mother,father, sisters or any one close to you.May be after robbing and rapping them,killll them them too.Lets see if you defend these scummbags with ''hungry man is an angry man'' shitt.

Jun 08, 2012 12:50 | 0 replies

@ Nicholaster &
Phunyukabemphethe

i am trying to decide who is dump btwn the two of you, remember that what you have today can be gone tomorrow. learn to appreciate what you have and not wish any bad thing on another person. please do write those entries again after they have kicked your a$$ on the n2

Jun 08, 2012 12:43 | 0 replies

then next time il drive with my pistol. then il blow the criminals brains off!! a death penalty on its own. crime rate droped.

Jun 08, 2012 12:37 | 0 replies

Thats are the results of unemployment, I honour these guys for attacking motorists. If you are working, and earning that sum don't underesteemate others. Youth is hungry for success, but unfortunately because they don't have money, and they cannot have a word in our parliament or media. Crime will go on, and i praise youth to commit crime, so that everyone understand what the youth wants. All they want is education, not being bribed with stupid co-operative societies/projects. They want qualifications, they want diplomas, they want certificates, not BEE because it only target they wealthy people.

Jun 08, 2012 12:20 | 0 replies

@ Robin =I am not

Jun 08, 2012 12:4 | 0 replies

@RobinH
Lucky me I am employed, some of my friend are sitting home with Diploma, Degrees even Honours ask what the government is doing. The first thing you can hear from EXPERIENCE. I am condoning such act but someone must take full of responsibility. Install camera's on highway, full police patrol on highway.

Jun 08, 2012 12:2 | 0 replies

Shredder. Not at all. I have heard of several such incidents.

Phunyukabemphethe: "A hungry man is an angry man." So are you suggesting that it is okay to rob and assault people because times are tough?

Jun 08, 2012 11:45 | 0 replies

A hungry man is an angry man.

Jun 08, 2012 11:34 | 0 replies