Paraplegic saved from shack fire
A PARALYSED man was carried to safety out of a burning shack at Promosa in Potchefstroom
Police spokesman Captain Pelonomi Makau said the man was sleeping when neighbours saw fire coming out of his aunt's shack, where he was living, at around 5pm on Monday.
His neighbours managed to rescue him before his and their shack was badly damaged.
Fire and emergency services and the police arrived, but it was too late to stop both households from losing their clothes and goods.
The paralysed man's aunt was at work at the time.
Emergency services has helped both households by providing mattresses and a tent, and the man was taken to his sister's house in the area.
The police are appealing to the community to be careful when dealing with anything that can cause a fire during winter.
"The community is also advised not leave children unattended with heaters and candles on," said Makau.
Police have opened a case of arson.