Castrate these rapists, women say
THE four minors accused of gang-raping a Braamfischerville teenager will remain in a place of safety.
Yesterday the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court postponed their bail application to May 3.
Their co-accused, three adults, will also remain in custody after their case was postponed to June 20. The seven accused's ages range from 13 to 19 years.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesman Mthunzi Mhaga said the three adults had not yet indicated whether they wanted to apply for bail.
"They are well within their rights to apply for bail at any stage," he said.
Mhaga confirmed that all the accused would face prosecution except for the youngest.
"We are still awaiting a decision about the criminal capacity of the 13-year-old boy," Mhaga said.
This means that they are awaiting an assessment that will determine whether he is criminally capable of committing the crime.
The country was outraged when a cellphone video showing a group of males gang-raping a 17-year-old mentally ill girl went viral last week.
Mhaga said psychiatric tests will be done to determine the mental capabilities of the girl.
The girl is said to have gone missing in March and was found last week with a 37-year-old man. His case is being dealt with separately.
Outside the court the ANC, Democratic Alliance, National Freedom Party, and Women and Men Against Child Abuse protested.
Some placards read "castrate rapists" and "no bail for child abusers".
Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa visited the girl's family on Tuesday to show his support during their difficult time.