Sexwale threatens to take legal action against Mdluli
HUMAN Settlement Minister Tokyo Sexwale has threatened to take legal action, possibly against crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli for the allegations that he was involved in a plot to topple President Jacob Zuma.
A statement released by Sexwale's lawyers charges that the removal of Mdluli's case from the court does not change anything regarding the allegations against the minister.
Mdluli was reinstated last week following a year-long suspension on allegations of murder and fraud. He was accused of being involved in a decade-old love triangle murder.
Mdluli was also being accused of defrauding crime intelligence to buy two new BMWs for himself and his wife.
Mdluli told Zuma of an alleged plot by Sexwale and other ANC members, the "Mvela Group", to topple Zuma at the party's Mangaung conference.
"[Sexwale's] name has been mentioned among the so-called plotters, and he will follow this matter until his name is cleared," said lawyer Lesley Mkhabela. "[Sexwale] will take legal action against anybody involved," Mkhabela added.
Meanwhile, acting national police commissioner Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi has denied reports that he intends quitting his post.
His spokesman, Brigadier Lindela Mashigo, said he could not comment on a report in City Press that Mkhwanazi plans to meet President Jacob Zuma and tender his resignation. "I am well aware of the writing [in the newspaper] ... I have no comment, but to accompany my 'no comment' I am saying that he is still in place as acting national commissioner," Mashigo said.
He refused to comment on reports that Mkhwanazi objected to the reinstatement of Mdluli and police finance head Solly Lazarus. Their suspensions were lifted last week. City Press reported that Mkhwanazi was "shocked " by the political interference in the reinstatement of Mdluli.
The Presidency on Friday denied any suggestion that Zuma had interfered in the corruption investigation of Mdluli's affairs, or in his reinstatement, and said they were an internal police matter.
It also denied that Zuma had asked the inspector-general of intelligence, Faith Radebe, to rethink her decision to hand over the Mdluli investigation to the National Prosecuting Authority.
Fresh charges relating to fraud and corruption in the abuse of crime intelligence funds were levelled at both Mdluli and Lazarus.
The NPA said in February that the best way to deal with the murder charges against Mdluli was an inquest and not a trial.
The DA said yesterday that neither Mdluli nor Lazarus should be reinstated until Public Protector Thuli Madonsela had completed her inquiry into their behaviour.
DA police spokeswoman Dianne Kohler Barnard said she would write to Madonsela requesting an investigation. She said the investigation should look at the reasons for the scrapping of the police's internal disciplinary process against Mdluli.